Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 8:40:54 PM EDT
Do you think a action block made out of wood using a router would be sufficient for a ONE TIME barrel installation?

I figure some dense wood I have laying around should hold the torque.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Got to be someone over in your hometown forum that can loan you a upper vise block to install the barrel nut. My guess is that you haven't posted yet to find out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got to be someone over in your hometown forum that can loan you a upper vise block to install the barrel nut. My guess is that you haven't posted yet to find out.

+1

use the correct tool to keep from damaging anything and getting it done right the first time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I suppose it's possible but for $35 I'd just pick up an action block.  I have a feeling you'd put more than $35 in labor into making your own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
my buddy has a leftie stag upper, and he did not have a block for it... so we built one out of wood. It worked fine and did no damage the upper at all. I do not recomend this method, and we have since bought a real action block.

But yes it does work!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

use the correct tool to keep from damaging anything and getting it done right the first time.

+1 This can not be stressed enough.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you think a action block made out of wood using a router would be sufficient for a ONE TIME barrel installation?

Absolutely it should work.  As long as you cut every angle as close as possible to the contour of the receiver.

Of course, the worst that can happen is you crush your receiver.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely it should work.  As long as you cut every angle as close as possible to the contour of the receiver.

Of course, the worst that can happen is you crush your receiver.  

Then the ARFCOM C of C requires you to post pics!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually he did ask about 8 days ago:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=221516

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Woot. See, I tried.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Turn the reciever sideways and put it in the vise between the takedown pin holes. The guy who is building SPRs for the US military does the same thing.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=143864

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell yes. Atleast I know it works. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Turn the reciever sideways and put it in the vise between the takedown pin holes. The guy who is building SPRs for the US military does the same thing.

Yep.  I bought an action block from Schuster Mfg.  Basically, it just holds the bottom lugs in the block.  I was kinda pisses.  However, their suggestion was to put a block of wood on the top (rail) and put that in the vice.  I did it, and it worked flawlessly!

I imagine if you cut a good block with holes to snugly fit the lugs on the bottom of the upper, you would be in great shape!

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't really need an action block.  I've barreled and re-barreled many uppers with nothing more than a 2x4 and a torque wrench.  Some of these have had over 30k rounds thru them without problems.  Just stand on the 2x4 with the upper receive under it and twist away.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I bought an action block from Schuster Mfg.  Basically, it just holds the bottom lugs in the block.  I was kinda pisses.  However, their suggestion was to put a block of wood on the top (rail) and put that in the vice.  I did it, and it worked flawlessly!

I imagine if you cut a good block with holes to snugly fit the lugs on the bottom of the upper, you would be in great shape!

Gundraw

Yep, just be sure not to have too thick of a piece of wood. You run the risk of the upper sliding off of the wood block when you are torquing it. . The wood mostly prevent gouging the rails, as vises usually have a checkered face on them.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top