Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 6:26:31 PM EDT
Hi,
Newbie here with very minimal AR experience/knowledge but looking to learn fast. Let me throw out some hypothetical questions..........

1. If a person in California LEGALLY obtained 2 stripped lowers and was able to LEGALLY build them up, what would you suggest for configurations and brands?
2. Does one light weight carbine and one long target setup sound like a good idea?
3. Barrel length suggestions?
4. Any particular configs/brands to stay away from?
5. Would a DPMS M4 upper be good place to start?
6. How about one .223 and one 7.62x39?
7. What are the differences between 5.56 and .223, is one more desirable then the other?

Any helpful links?

Thanks for the patience as I’m sure these questions have been asked a few times before.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
First, it's gonna be crucial you give info on what you wanna do with it.  AR's come in every flavor anymore.  From a bench gun to a pistol.

1.  Not sure exactly what you are asking for.  If you mean just a general configuration, once again, more info needed.

2.  Yep, sure does.  This is what I did.  I have a Varminter with a nice piece of glass on it, and just got finished building a midlength 16".  Love 'em both.

3.  Once again... If  building a lightweight "carbine", I like the 16" so I don't have to worry about permanently attaching muzzle devices.  Long range rifle.  Big debate is between 20 and 24".  For the average shooter, usually a 24" is really not necessary.  However, if perhaps you are a handloader, you might find the extra inches worth it.

4.  You hear a lot of opinions on this one.  There are many more GOOD companies out there then bad in my opinion.  Price might be your decision maker there though.

5.  DPMS sometimes gets a shakey reputation... I've never owned one... don't think I will.  All said, if I were to buy a built upper, I'd be calling Bushmaster.

6.  Never seen an AR in 7.62... (never really looked neither).  However, if I wanted a .30cal., hands down I would buy an AR-10.

7.  5.56 is the military version of the .223 Remingtion.  Basically, the chamber dimensions are a little "looser", the throat longer, basically, safeguards to make them a little more reliable, and hold up to higher pressures.  .223 would be (arguably) better for a long range rig.  You can shoot .223Rem in a 5.56mm chamber, but not vice-versa.

If you are looking to buy a stripped lower and a built upper.  Mega has a superb deal out.  I have one and find the attention to detail absolutely stellar.  Perhaps you'd want to try CMT/Stag for your lower parts kit.  For the upper, as I said, Bushy has a great rep.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#2]
"5. DPMS sometimes gets a shakey reputation... I've never owned one... don't think I will. All said, if I were to buy a built upper, I'd be calling Bushmaster."

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
1. superior arms from RB Precision
2. depends on your needs
3. 16" for one and 24" for the other if you go with your notion on line 2
4. quad rail flat top for the 16" with an EOTech and BUIS with forward grip for the 16" - free float tube and 24" bull stainless unit for the other?
5. buy a superior upper or RRA
6. 7.62x39 is worthless IMO.  if you're going to go with an alternate caliber i'd go with the 6.5 Grendel from Alexander Arms
7.  there are differences, subtle at best...  .223 is the way to go.  

as for advice...  use the search tab and you'll find a barrel of information including all the links, pics, stories, and opinions you care to read...  

the EE is full of great deals.  

hope this helps.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
1. bushmaster superlight and custom long range recon/recce setup
2. yep, bm superlight and recon/recce
3. 16 and 16
4. read and learn who's who
5. sure but since i have already answered 1 & 2 bushmaster superlight
6. .223,9mm,.50beo or 5.56 would be my choices over 7.62
7. similar but different sammi specs ammo-oracle.com/

and yes they have, more than a few times since the california gold rush
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"5. DPMS sometimes gets a shakey reputation... I've never owned one... don't think I will. All said, if I were to buy a built upper, I'd be calling Bushmaster."

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm not trying to make some kind of expert statement here (obviously).  It's just that I've heard with some regularity from people, some of which I certainly won't name because they are in the trade, that they have not been happy with DPMS.

I'm sure there are lots of people with good luck.  But I've just encountered enough bad review that I question them a little.  Perhaps best put, I think there is better for the money...

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not trying to make some kind of expert statement here (obviously).  It's just that I've heard with some regularity from people, some of which I certainly won't name because they are in the trade, that they have not been happy with DPMS.

I'm sure there are lots of people with good luck.  But I've just encountered enough bad review that I question them a little.  Perhaps best put, I think there is better for the money...

Gundraw

i hear this quite a bit as well.  i'm going to post on it.

septic tank

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top