Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:15:09 PM EDT
Okay, so I picked up a regular 6 position telescoping stock for my Bushy today, and I got it on and it looks great. My question is this:

How much do these stocks normally wiggle? I have never used one before and I was surprised at how much the stock wiggled over the tube. It locks into each position just fine, and wiggles less than normally when it is locked. Am I just being a bit paranoid about my purchase?

I got it at a gun show, fyi.
If this is not normal, is there a way to tighten it?

Here it is on my Bushy:
(The mag is empty, of course, and only there to increase the intimidation factor. http://www.blutundboden.com/images/tele_stock.jpg

http://www.blutundboden.com/images/tele_stock2.jpg
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't take credit for this fix.  Another member posted it, but I've found it works for me.  I have the same stock.  Take the stock off of the tube and stick a bit of the soft side of a sticky velcro strip in between the tube and stock.  For my stock, I only needed about an 1.5" of velcro applied to the inner surface of the stock (not the tube).  This will tighten it substaintially though, and would considerably slow down the amount of time to extend the stock (in a tac situation).  For my purposes, I don't care that the stock is tight and hard to extend.  It's now rock solid and no rattle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Who makes the stock? Some will wiggle more than others. Some, (mil-spec) hardly wiggle at all.

The velcro idea is a good one, I've never heard it before.

The other method is this: remove the lower receiver extension (buffer tube) and place it in a vise, to "widen" it a little, and I mean only a little. Next, take a hairdryer and heat the stock (plastic part) on the inside until it's nice and hot. Force it onto your now modified buffer tube and allow to cool. This should reduce the amount of wiggle you notice. Or sell the junk, and buy a mil-spec tube and stock.

Quoted:
(The mag is empty, of course, and only there to increase the intimidation factor.

And my last point, a weapon should never be intentionally given an appearance to "intimidate." It's a weapon. If you want to intimidate someone, go to the gym. Otherwise, load the friggin' magazine, and take your photos without a mag present if it concerns you.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
And my last point, a weapon should never be intentionally given an appearance to "intimidate." It's a weapon. If you want to intimidate someone, go to the gym. Otherwise, load the friggin' magazine, and take your photos without a mag present if it concerns you.

Thanks for your opinion! I wonder if something would have been said if I had made no mention of it at all. You should contact this guy and let him know he's breakin' all the rules.  But I digress! Thanks for the tips, regardless. I doubt I'll be locking the buffer tube in a vice and bending it any time soon, but thanks anyways!

I'll try the velcro in the meantime.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
how is that ncstar scope workn for ya? I just picked one up for really cheap, I havent received it yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how is that ncstar scope workn for ya? I just picked one up for really cheap, I havent received it yet.

Works fine thus far.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
s: remove the lower receiver extension (buffer tube) and place it in a vise, to "widen" it a little, and I mean only a little. Next, take a hairdryer and heat the stock (plastic part) on the inside until it's nice and hot. Force it onto your now modified buffer tube and allow to cool. This should reduce the amount of wiggle you notice. Or sell the junk, and buy a mil-spec tube and stock.

Can somebody explain this proccess a bit more? What orientation do you use when you place the buffer tube into the vice attempting to "widen" the buffer tube?

I've read another method where you heat the stock and put it in a vice while warm. This sounds like the better method since you are not making any alterations to the buffer tube. What is the process for doing this w/out breaking the stock?

I've tried a few "mil-spec" style 6-pos stocks and they all rattle a little with the exception of my LMT. Interesting thing about that is that my LMT stock will only fit on the LMT buffer tube. It's to tight to fit the other "mil-spec" tubes...

Maybe I should just try the velcro or scrap these stocks and get LMT's. The rattle really annoys me and I want it gone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How much do these stocks normally wiggle? I have never used one before and I was surprised at how much the stock wiggled over the tube. It locks into each position just fine, and wiggles less than normally when it is locked. Am I just being a bit paranoid about my purchase?

Not only does my 6 position RR stock wiggle, I was disappointed to find the same degree of wiggle on my VLTOR.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top