Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 1:04:06 PM EDT
I read on another forum that it is necessary to put antiseize/moly lube on threads, particularly when mating the buffer tube to the lower and the barrel to the upper.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
On the barrel nut threads and mateing surfaces.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
In an armorer's course that I attended, we were told to put anti-seize on the barrel extension where it slides inside the upper receiver, on the barrel nut's threads, and on the barrel's threads where the flash suppressor attaches. We did not put any on the buffer tube's threads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

MMM.. lube the mating surfaces....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MMM.. lube the mating surfaces....

x eleventy billion
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Moly grease (wheel bearing grease) is OK.  What you don't want to use is the goop (such as NeverSeize) with powdered metals, zinc, aluminum, copper.  These materials are silver or copper colored.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
why is that?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why is that?

Some claim that galvanic corrosion is possible with aluminum AR-15 uppers due to the graphite in some anti-seize mixtures.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
thats quite a load.

People have been using antisieze products containing graphite on aluminum parts for a looong time.

The anti sieze sacrafices the metals in it to prevent galvanic corrosion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Moly grease (wheel bearing grease) is OK.  What you don't want to use is the goop (such as NeverSeize) with powdered metals, zinc, aluminum, copper.  These materials are silver or copper colored.

I wish it were 100% safe to use NeverSeize on AR's. I can get a 16oz can of that stuff dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Neverseize and other metal containing anti-seize materials embed the metal particles in the softer aluminum.  They are designed for use with steel on steel.

With the barrel nut, for example, you want a clean grease that will allow you to smoothly adjust the nut for alignment.  Neverseize and similar are gritty, don't work smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Once again this board spouts off with warnings not to ever do (fill in the blank) or you will regret it.  And once again, they have no evidence to support the claim.  What BS!!!  Metal particles, galvanic corrosion, more noble/less noble, this stuff just does not apply to an AR15.  Just people repeating what they heard somewhere else and know nothing of the subject.

Lube the threads and you will suffer no ill.  None.  Not any.  Zip  (think of Monty Python and the dead parrot here).  Any antiseize will do just fine.  Any lithium based grease, any Moly based grease.  It just does not matter.  I personally still use Lubi-plate and love the stuff.  Been building and repairing engines of all types for 40+ years and it never, not once, failed me.

Combat weapons should be welded together and never take apart further then is necessary for cleaning.  When broken, crush the gun and get a new issue.  Combat is different.  Yours is not a combat weapon.  You may actually want to change the buttstock, handguard, whatever, someday.   Make it easy on yourself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Neverseize and other metal containing anti-seize materials embed the metal particles in the softer aluminum.  They are designed for use with steel on steel.

With the barrel nut, for example, you want a clean grease that will allow you to smoothly adjust the nut for alignment.  Neverseize and similar are gritty, don't work smoothly.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?!?

where did you hear that!

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Neverseize and similar are gritty, don't work smoothly.

Obvuously....you've never used Neverseize. I see Neverseize on a daily basis because its one of the products we carry at Red Man Pipe and Supply Co.

All neverseize agents are smooth. If it were gritty, it would cause seizing.

Do you know anything about AR's at all?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#14]
So is it NECESSARY to put antiseize lube on the buffer tube threads, or not?

Thanks for the good info.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

From everything I read here on AR15.com, NO!!!

Just the Barrel nut needs lube.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
hrm... just curious how this works.

in car engines, with aluminum heads, you need to use the silver anti-seize on the spark plugs, or they might weld to the head.

if the anti-seize attacks aluminum, how's come the car's head threads aren't destroyed?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

NO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!?!?

where did you hear that!

DEAR GOD WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO ARGUE THIS POINT OVER AND OVER????

USE MOLY GREASE - per the TM (or wheel bearing grease) or any other high temp, low flash point, non metallic/graphite grease.

If you want to use something else because you are a freaking engineer.... go right ahead.  It's pointless, when the spec grease is so plentiful, cheap, and it takes so little.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
if you want to use something just because you want to is fine.

But to give out false reasons is just wrong. Also anyone that works on anything requiring a torqued bolt has a can of antisieze that is already there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
if you want to use something just because you want to is fine.

But to give out false reasons is just wrong.

Fine, there have been many, many threads on this.  Please research them, and refute the theory of galvanic corrosion between similar and dissimilar metals.  Full technical details required, please.

Until then.... I pretty much agree... most grease or antisieze will probably be fine.  But since the fucking manual says use moly grease.... and moly grease is cheap and plentiful, I'm a gonna use moly grease.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From everything I read here on AR15.com, NO!!!

Just the Barrel nut needs lube.

That's what I did.  Changed my stock to a VLTOR, never lubed the threads.  Changed my barrel, and use a little 320*F multi-purpose grease.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fine, there have been many, many threads on this.  Please research them, and refute the theory of galvanic corrosion between similar and dissimilar metals.  Full technical details required, please.

Aw jeeze. I know all about galvanic corrosion never said it dosent happen or exist.

I didnt even say that you do not need some type of protectent eon the threads. I never said dont use moly or use this over that. I simply stated that antiseize will NOT contribute to corrosion of any kind. Use spit for all I care, just know that antiseize does not cause or contribute to galvanic corrosion.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
DEAR GOD WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO ARGUE THIS POINT OVER AND OVER????

USE MOLY GREASE - per the TM (or wheel bearing grease) or any other high temp, low flash point, non metallic/graphite grease.

If you want to use something else because you are a freaking engineer.... go right ahead.  It's pointless, when the spec grease is so plentiful, cheap, and it takes so little.

Put it in a FAQ or tell them what they want to hear.

"You need to use 4 tablespoons on that part and 6 on the barrel."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Just my .02   I'll put just a little grease (no anti-seize) on the buffer tube threads just in case I want to change out stocks in the future (and I have changed out stocks on ARs with no grease on the tube with no problems also-14 y/o guns).  If I get a tube that doesn't snug up as tight as I would like in a lower (or it just feels loose for some odd reason), I'll put a few wraps of Teflon tape on the tube and screw it in.  It's not rocket science guys.   ymmv
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#25]

PLEASE STOP!  No more discussion on this topic.  My head is going to explode!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top