Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:57:36 PM EDT
Hello guys as you can see from the title I need help removing my stock. This is my first AR thanks you guys here at AR15.COM. The first picture shows what I have.  The top screw has a little hole which I think might have something to do with why it does not come off. Not Sure. Do I need a speacial tool or something? I tried to remove the top one and as you can see it started to strip. Another thing, Does anyone know what size allen wrench I need to remove the grip? Your help is appreciated. Thanks Elijah

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/LtGuz/218eb781.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/LtGuz/3f6bf9b6.jpg
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#1]
the small hole (from what I've been told) is a weep hole for water. All you need is a proper sized screw driver (large) or an armorers wrench.

the pistol grip should have a flat tip screw as well.

Gene

edit to add: the armorers wrench has a large flat tip screw driver bit on the end, that is just the wright size for this.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#2]
When I applied alot of pressure with a bigger screw driver It did start to budge but it didn't feel right. I got it to move a little bit but when I stopped it went back what it had budged. As for the grip it has a hex head on it. I can clearly see it. I'll get the proper size screw driver and try again. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
A big flat bladed screwdriver really helps
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the small hole (from what I've been told) is a weep hole for water. All you need is a proper sized screw driver (large) or an armorers wrench.

edit to add: the armorers wrench has a large flat tip screw driver bit on the end, that is just the wright size for this.

Gene

I found the screwdriver tip on my DPMS wrench was too narrow and I went with my big honkin craftsman instead
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gene

I found the screwdriver tip on my DPMS wrench was too narrow and I went with my big honkin craftsman instead

I have to admit, even though my armorers wrench does work, it's alot easier to use my extra large flat tip craftsman. Just easier to hold on to and it does fit better too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd go with the big honkin' Craftsman screwdriver.    

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
don't lose or crush the little springs
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've found that some manufacturers use red LocTite on the stock screw.  That can be a real pain in the butt... stock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've found that some manufacturers use red LocTite on the stock screw.  That can be a real pain in the butt... stock.

That's my bet on why the screw doesn't "feel" right.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is true.  When I took the A2 stock off of my post-ban Bushy it was covered in red loc-tite.  I had to drill the screw out to get the stock off.  This may be your problem.

Nic
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
In all gunsmithing It is best to use the appropriate Hollow ground screwdriver these have a square profile that give full contact and better bite on the screw slot . Notice the shape of the slot in your stock screw  it isnt tapered like the blades of most screwdrivers screwdrivers that are tapered tent to either ramp out of the slot causing marring on the way out.  

The hole in your stock screw is a vent. A clogged vent can be responsable for short stroking malfunctions.  Some screws have a nylon plug in the side to act as a thread locker . Unfortunatley I belive due to the fact that yours is a bushmaster you most probably have red locktite on your stock screw. At least your screw has a vent I once had an olympic arms PCR that had a Phillips head screw no thread locker and no vent. Nowhere near mil spec.
 Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
The allen wrench you need for your grip is likely a 3/16. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
That paint job is pretty sweet, who did it and are you getting rid of that funiture?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
First off thanks to all who have replied. Before I would be a little hesitant in messing with this gun. I know I can count you guys with my AR related problems. I know it's just a screw but the fact that it did not want to loosen made me stop and not want to try anymore. I do not want to break or lose something. Thanks Alot Guys

twonami, What little springs are you referring to and where are they located? So I can be on the look out for them.

Jo_Mama, Bushmaster did the paint job, I was thinking of getting rid of the furniture. I am just waiting on getting enough cash to buy what I want. I'm not sure how much to ask for it. Right now I just want to familiarise myself with my gun. The more I fiddle with it the more I want to build one from "scratch".
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
twonami, What little springs are you referring to and where are they located? So I can be on the look out for them.

If you remove the grip a small spring holds the detent spring for the safety switch and the buttstock holds back the detent spring for the rear take down pin.
It shouldn't do any disappearing acts on you but they can get squished when you reassemble the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
BUILD YOUR OWN THREAD

this will help answer some of your questions, the Pics will show you the pins and springs they are referring too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I took the a2 stock of my bushie and it did take some  elbow grease. There was lock-tite on it too. and as someone stated the grip screw should be 3/16", but you will need a long one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top