Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 8:56:47 AM EDT
I'll be ordering my 16" kit from Del-Ton later on this week or on Monday, so I figured I should go ahead and get the tools together I'll need. This is what I've come up with so far:

CAR Stock wrench(Bravo Company)
Pivot pin installation tool(Bravo Company)
A2 front sight tool(Bravo Company)
Craftsman 6 pc. Roll Pin Punch Set(Sears)

I've got your basic tools at home also. I've checked over a few threads, and this seems like all I'll need to order, anything else I can probably pick up at Sears/Lowes. Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump because I am doing the same exact thing :)

-SF
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Two more tools come to mind, a Nylon and Brass hammer, and a handguard removel tool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
tools needed to assemble a kit?

punches (make sure the sears kit you are getting has the smaller punches)
stock wrench
screwdriver
hammer

tools to make the job easier.
front sight tool
pivot pin tool
mag block
bolt catch punch
handguard too (but the upper should have handguards already installed)
drill bits ( to clean out burs)
vise
upper block
multi tool/barrel wrench
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Lets see, a DPMS multi tool, is all you need.  as for the hand guards i pull down on the delta ring while my wife puts on the hand gards.  Front sight, a sharp pointed bullet,  also a bullet works good to remove pins, all the pins.  if your insalling a barrel then an action block, or barrel grips are a must.  Some stocks come with there own wrench too.  good luck on your build, i'm about to start a 0% lower myself.  infact i just got my nice looking forged paperweight in the mail the other day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
tools needed to assemble a kit?

punches (make sure the sears kit you are getting has the smaller punches)
stock wrench
screwdriver
hammer

tools to make the job easier.
front sight tool
pivot pin tool
mag block
bolt catch punch
handguard too (but the upper should have handguards already installed)
drill bits ( to clean out burs)
vise
upper block
multi tool/barrel wrench

That should do it
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
also a bullet works good to remove pins, all the pins.

Yeah, one of my buddies was using a bullet to push out some pins in his AR, smacking the end of the shell with a hammer.  I took about 5 big steps back too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah, one of my buddies was using a bullet to push out some pins in his AR, smacking the end of the shell with a hammer.  I took about 5 big steps back too.

Ha. I was just thinking about that as soon as all of this bullet tool talk started.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Go to Brownells and get the roll pin starter punches. Plus find a DPMS Armourer's wrench.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=TL-MW
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, cancel that stock wrench if you can.  The DPMS multitool has one built-in.  Also, it doesn't hurt to have the handguard removal tool, even though the poster above has found a good, less expensive way to put on the handguards.  With the tool you can very easily install & remove the handguards all by yourself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I already got those tools in, but I do have plans to order one of the multitools and a handguard removal tool down the road. After I get this build done, I'm gonna try to get all the tools I need so I can put my own uppers together also.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top