Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 3:41:13 PM EDT
I purchased a bushmaster not too long ago with Hogue grips installed.  I do not like them so I bought new ones, But  since the hogue barrel grip is aluminum and dosent snap together like the original plastic ones how do I remove it?   also it looks like i am missing some parts in front and behind the new plastic grips,  am I?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm assuming that you are talking about replacing a Hogue free-float tube with standard plastic handguards. I'm not familiar with the Hogue, but from you description, it sounds like a one-piece tube. If it is, you'll need an action block and a vise at the minimum. First you'll have to remove the flash suppressor. Does it have a full front sight base or a gas block? If it has a standard full FSB, you have to remove it first by driving ot the taper pins from left to right with a 3/32" nail set and hammer. If it's a gas block, there should be set screws that need to be loosened before sliding it off. You'll need to take a 1/16" punch and drive out the gas tube roll pin in the front sight base, and remove the gas tube. Then you have to unscrew the FF tube with a strap wrench, or perhaps an armorer's wrench if the are holes in the rear of it.

To install regular plastic handguards, you need a new barrel nut, delta ring, snap ring, weld spring, and front handguard cap.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top