Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:03:46 PM EDT
Could this be done?  There aren't any serious stresses or heat on the lower reciever.  The upper wouldn't work due to the heat of the barrel threads.  Just thought it would be really cool to see all the inner workings as they operate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
the trigger/hammer pins would probably spiderweb or elongate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think polycarbonate or polysulfone would hold up better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it would look like a toy. I'd bet the media would have a field day if an AR lower was made out of a transparent material.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be cool as hell though to get a video of it getting fired.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It would be cool as hell though to get a video of it getting fired.

-C4-

My thought exactly!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Eli75 is correct...if possible at all it would have to be polycarb.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
[Scotty Voice] Can’t you just make it out of transparent aluminum? [Scotty Voice \]

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[Scotty Voice] Can’t you just make it out of transparent aluminum? [Scotty Voice \]

h.gif

Holy crap.  http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif  I can't believe somebody else thought of that, too...  http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/kewl.gif
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap.  www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif  I can't believe somebody else thought of that, too...    www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/kewl.gif

This same thing was mentioned about a week ago (transparent aluminum). Seevral links were provided and looks like it isn't far from happening in real life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]

This same thing was mentioned about a week ago (transparent aluminum). Seevral links were provided and looks like it isn't far from happening in real life.

Really?  Ima hafta do sum serchin' fer dat.  That's pretty slick.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Jeez, come on guys!

Alumina is aluminum oxide.  In single crystal form, alumina is known as sapphire and is used for optical windows, etc.  In amorphous/polycrystalline form it is a very common material used in the electronics industry as a heat conducting insulator.

Saying alumina is "transparent aluminum" is like saying diamond is transparent coal.  An even better analogy would be like saying carbon dioxide is transparent coal.  The oxide is a different chemical compound.  Compounds have different properties than the elements they are made of.  

Remember you high school chemistry????  Has our educational system broken down THAT badly?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting enough, but I'm thinking about a material more easily available like the blocks of an acrylic like material used in sculputure.  We've all seen those clear cube blocks with a pixilized image in it.  Seems fairly sturdy and should be cheap too.

I'll see if I can find a pic of what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]
There is also a polycrystalline aluminum oxynitride that has been developed by the Air Force Research Laboratory with Raytheon.  Google "ALONTM " .
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy crap.  www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif  I can't believe somebody else thought of that, too...    www.4x4wire.com/forums/images/graemlins/kewl.gif

Transparent aluminum would allow the TinFoilHatters to leave their homes, still wear their hats, yet still blend in with the general public.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
something like this
link
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Transparent aluminum would allow the TinFoilHatters to leave their homes, still wear their hats, yet still blend in with the general public.

I could finally LIVE!!!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Interesting enough, but I'm thinking about a material more easily available like the blocks of an acrylic like material used in sculputure.  We've all seen those clear cube blocks with a pixilized image in it.  Seems fairly sturdy and should be cheap too.

You could try to make it out of a block of Lexan (or a similar polycarbonate) but Lexan is weird to cut.  It takes a very high chip load to cut otherwise it tends to melt and gall up the cutter.  This results in the tooling wanting to push the work piece around unless your fixturing is very strong.  I've seen lexan pop out of a vice because of this (wasn't my part I'd take the time to make hold downs on the softjaws).  It would be a very challenging project, very expensive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Just get one of these and convert it over:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't the anti's try to get Glocks banned cause the polymer frame could be burned. Thus making the gun not only undetectable to metal detectors but disposable as well. You're making a disposable rifle arn't you!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Cavalry Arms does this by fusion welding two molded pieces together. Bushmaster uses carbon fiber and a resin.

Quoted:
Could this be done?  There aren't any serious stresses or heat on the lower reciever.  The upper wouldn't work due to the heat of the barrel threads.  Just thought it would be really cool to see all the inner workings as they operate.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
don't know what type of material it is but...

a business acquaintance of mine works for GM.  of course he bitches about is retirement nonstop, but when he isn't crying me a river he lets loose of some pretty cool information.

he claims GM has been testing for years various plastics for making engine parts, specifically engine blocks...  he told me they had used a steel liner for the cylinder wall and the remainder was plastic.  no bearings, no nothing...  just plastic of various sorts...

it stands to reason that a lower can be made easily...  i know the carbon 15 and others have been around, but when i asked this guy questions about it, he made it sound like it can be machined like a metal and had equivalent strength in the same thicknesses...

pretty neat stuff...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, you could do it; I dunno how practical a "transparent" AR would be, but it can be done.

Just check the HK USP45 on display in the "Grey Room" at Heckler & Koch's museum at their Headquarters in Obendorf, Germany.

Impossible is nothing, as the commercial goes.

Now, figure that the UMP is chambered in .45 ACP; it can be deduced that if this clear polycarbonate composite can withstand a 230 grain 45 slug in full auto, I think it can take a 55 grain 5.56mm in full auto as well.

But that's just me thinking out loud.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#24]
You could make it out of G10 with standard tools. G10 is only translucenct, but you could still see what was going on inside. Some guy made an autococker entirely out of G10 that could easily take the full pressure of CO2 inside. He said it wore out tools really fast due to the glass content but that it milled like brass. He helicoiled all the threads for strength. As far as I know, the gun is still in use. You might even be able to make an upper out of G10.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Think I found it:  Transparent Aluminum (actually "alumina")

www.technovelgy.com/graphics/content/aluminate-glass.jpg

Pretty wacky, huh?  

HOLY #@#@$@#.... Although if I recall someone also invented transparent concrete a while ago...

I guess you can make anything transparent if you have enough time and money.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty wacky, huh?  

HOLY #@#@$@#.... Although if I recall someone also invented transparent concrete a while ago...

-C4-

The transparent concrete is regular concrete with fiber optic strands embedded in it.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty wacky, huh?  

-C4-

The transparent concrete is regular concrete with fiber optic strands embedded in it.  

I didn't really remember how they had done it, but I knew they did it.... thanks for the info.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Differential covers are available in a clear plastic allowing easy viewing of the ring and pinion.  They're also  stronger than steel.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top