Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:34:20 AM EDT
OK, I just finished my first lower build. Everything went relatively smooth except the installation of the safety selector. I was following the Bushmaster video instructions and did the following:

1. Installed the selector in the fire position
2. Dropped the detent, pointed end first, into the hole in the receiver.
3. Put the spring in the pistol grip and installed; tightened with screwdriver.

Problem is, the selector switch is frozen in the fire position. I have taken it out and reinstalled it 3 times but get the same result. What am I doing wrong??? hinking.gif

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
1) make sure the hammer is cocked... the safety selector should only engage while cocked.  

2) make sure the safety selector clears the top of the trigger while the hammer is cocked.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, C4. I'll try that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm, no luck. It will either lock in the fire or the safe position but will not switch once the pistol grip is installed.  The safety is positioned over the rear part of the trigger mechanism, right? When I look down into the lower, I can see all but the back part of the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Does it move at all (like does it go to 45 degrees? or not at all)?  Make sure the detent is right side up.  The point should be into the selector.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
i find this problem common with some people's luck. you're detent is too long/sharp and is preventing the plastic selector recess from moving. take a metal file and grind down the point of the detent a LITTLE bit. problem solved. you're not alone, out of 5 lower builds, this happens to me 2-3 times. oh, and you dont need to tighten the grip screw as hard as you think, this affects the selector detent spring tension some.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
C4: No, it won't move at all.  Faethor: thanks, I'll try that next. That feels like what is happening.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Plastic selector ? I've never heard of them !
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Plastic selector recess.........????????   WTF is that????     I hope someone isn't now making cheap plastic selectors.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#9]
this is the second i have heard of plastic selectors being brought up.

all the selectors i have seen have been metal.

with the problem try forcing it, usually too pointy of a detent digging into the hole/recess of the safety. i have had the same problem on initial switch and when that happens i just force it a bit and it switches and at the same time it grinds down the tip.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Good idea, Eklikwhoa. I'll try that before trying to file it down.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I just put a lower together with a DPMS LPK the other day, the recess was cut just a little to deep( on the fire side), I used a dremmel and lightly cut the shoulder a little at a time till it the detent would come back out of it, I may have put it in 3 or 4 times before would go.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#12]
You can also fit the wrong spring in the pistol grip, I cant remember which spring for sure at the moment, (IIRC it could be the spring for the rear takedown pin detent) and that will cause the same problem.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
i hope i wasn't too broad on the description of the selector. i was in a hurry before work. of course the selector is made of metal, but the recess seems to be different. for lack of a better term i used plastic. i forgot how anal some can be! lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#14]
We are not being anal.  We can't read your mind nor do we have your rifle in front of us to look at.  Accordingly,  you've got to use the correct "words" or no one is going to be able to help you with your problem.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We are not being anal.  We can't read your mind nor do we have your rifle in front of us to look at.  Accordingly,  you've got to use the correct "words" or no one is going to be able to help you with your problem.

funny, i was supplying the ANSWER, not the PROBLEM.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey, sundown, did you ever get your safety selector to work?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Been working so much I haven't had a chance to try out the tips given above. Hopefully this weekend. I'll post my results.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Been working so much I haven't had a chance to try out the tips given above. Hopefully this weekend. I'll post my results.

How much you tighten the grip screw should have absolutely zero bearing.  Once it is snug, even overtorquing it aint gonna move the grip more than a few thousandths.

After you grind the tip of the detent... here is another thing.... take the grip off, and hold pressure on the spring with your hand.  Does it move then, and click as it should?  

Sometimes the the grip supplied with your kit has trash in the spring hole, or the spring hole wasnt drilled deep enough.  If you have another grip, compare how deep the spring hole is, and how long the springs are.  You can drill out the grip *slowly* or clip coils from the spring is this is your problem.  If your spring is fully compressed, it will lockyour selector.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Also it helps to lube the crap out of the detent. I always put a shot of tetra grease in the hole before installing the detent. I've yet to see a selector that wasn't a bit stiff, sometimes "frozen" in place, initially. With the selector installed and just the detent in place, the selector should move, even dry, fairly easily. If it doesn't something is causing it to bind as others have stated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Maybe these will help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#21]
This has happened to me before. What happens is that on certain grips, the hole where the spring fits is drilled too shallow. Your spring is then compressing more than it should and therefore causes your selector to be extremely stiff. You actually are able to move it, it just may take 10-15 lbs. of force and may even damage the detent or selector. Filing down the detent is the best idea posted so far and this will help if, and only if, you're off by only a bit.
The best solution though is to cut off a link from the spring. This will reduce the tension on the spring when it is compressed by the detent and safety. Usually one or two links and a wire cutter will do the trick. So far I've gone through 3 different grips on my AR and 3 different lengths that I've needed my spring to be. Go figure.
One last thing, before you cut, make absolutely sure it's not an assembly problem. It's much easier to check twice and cut once than have to find a store that sells AR parts in California.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:10:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Success!  Lubed it and used a bit of pressure and it finally moved! Have been sitting here working the heck out of it and it has smoothed out considerably. Thanks all for your help!  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top