Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:43:53 PM EDT
Hey gang,

I'm really hate the idea of paying $150+ for your standard 20" chrome-lined barrels only to burn up the chamber when I go to the range to blast away.  I was thinking about putting together a "fun" upper to blast/practice with that wouldn't necessarily have a great barrel, but a cheap one to put a lot of mileage on.

Has anybody heard of getting "demilled" or used barrels for a decent price?  Has anybody heard of such a thing?  Do you guys just use good barrels?

Thanks for the input,
Nick
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
why not just get an airsoft rifle?

its a rifle is meant to shoot bullets and after shooting bullets you clean the rifle which is called maintaining it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In the AR world used military barrels cost as much or more than new barrels, unless they are un-useable. It's not like AKs, where a used kit gos for $100.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
With my competition AR, I don't mind spending $250+ on a new Kreiger barrel because I demand 1/2 MOA across the course, but with my blasting AR, I really don't need that much precision.  In fact, I just want to shoot that as cheap as possible.  I was just exploring an option at reducing barrel wear cost on my fun gun...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Just watch the Equipment Exchange. You can find an upper-barrel combo with plenty of life in it for $150 or so. Sell the receiver and you got an inexpensive barrel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If all you're doing is blasting away, then just blast away.  You can probably shoot 25k rounds or more before you even need to start thinking about headspace issues & by then you will have spent so much on ammo that $150 for a new barrel will seem like chump change.  There is nothing wrong with having a "good" upper & a plinking upper, but I don't think you will need to swap barrels on the plinker all that often.
--Snowbound
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I have some US made 1/9 barrels in 20" HBAR config.  I got several of them at a good price.  My brother in law built a rifle using one of these barrels and, after some break-in, gets good groups.  The barrels are chambered, profiled, gas port hole drilled and the barrel extension is installed.  They are unfinished chrome-moly steel.  You would need to install the FSB.  Front end is threaded for standard FH.  Price is $85 shipped.  Email for pic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
i remeber a few years ago i found someplace selling good used military barrels for like $45 or something... wish i would have picked up a few
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I've purchased 2 16" pencil barrels from Sarco for $24.00 plus s/h they were advertised as "ringed, plugged or shot-out. not so both have beautiful when cleaned  chamber and rifling and bore errosion was 1.5 to 2.0  which is as good or better than new. they're just depot take-offs one i built is very accurate. all i bought them for was FSB's but hit jackpot. I don't  know about all of them but mine was ordered at 2 different times.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top