Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2006 7:11:28 PM EDT
installing a new flash hider, and its gonna take quite a bit of force to tighten it enough to line it up.
whats the proper way to clamp or secure the barrel to do this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel installed into upper and action block and a vise or you can try the barrel blocks but I haven't used it yet
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The best way is to clamp the barrel into a bench vise using the aluminum barrel blocks, or just make one up using two halves of hardwood.  This method keeps the torque from transferring into the receiver/barrel nut location.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:20:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The best way is to clamp the barrel into a bench vise using the aluminum barrel blocks, or just make one up using two halves of hardwood.  This method keeps the torque from transferring into the receiver/barrel nut location.

+1

but i have used action blocks with no problems but i never really torqued the crap out of the fh.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

but i have used action blocks with no problems but i never really torqued the crap out of the fh.

Another +1
Just snug down for me with Blue Loctite...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You really should hold the barrel using barrel blocks.

I've always cheated and clamped the barrel in a padded vise or just left the upper in the action blocks. This has always worked for me but I too never torque the crap out of them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#6]
yeah its just that i have the 5c1 that has the closed bottom port, so lining it up correct is necessary or else i would just leave it snug.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yeah its just that i have the 5c1 that has the closed bottom port, so lining it up correct is necessary or else i would just leave it snug.

I use crush washers now. It's nice to have a few different ones laying around to try. Find the one that times your supressor the best and trank it on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You do have a crush or peel washer and know how each works right?

You simply don't CRANK THE SHIT out of the FH to line it up.  I'm just asking because your posts are a little vague.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
well i was just going on the assumption that the crush washer  just has a bit of give to it, and you just tighten to where you need it. just so happened that it was far from being aligned when i had to start tightening down on it. i figured there was only one way for it to work, and i didnt want to just hold the gun in my hand while someone tightens it, so i stopped, came on here and asked.

maybe i have no clue how to correctly use a crush washer, and thats the problem.

i'm not too proud to ask to be told how to do it. gotta learns sometime. so please tell me.
thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
You *can* just crank the hell out of a crush washer but there is a better way. You want as little torque on your muzzle device as possible for accuracy purposes. Torque to 25 foot pounds and it won't be nearly lined up. Break it loose and torque again. It should be very close. Slowly increase the torque from here until it is lined up.

You want to use a padded barrel vise, not an upper reciver block. If you clamp on the UR the barrel extension pin is taking all the torque and could break.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah i currently only own a receiver block.
any suggestions on a proper AR barrel vise?

thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah i currently only own a receiver block.
any suggestions on a proper AR barrel vise?

thanks.

BUSHMASTER

GUNSMITHING TOOLS
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/

Transmitting 15-20 foot pounds of torque to the barrel/barrel nut/lower receiver via the flash hider IS NOT going to break anything, unless you have a complete piece of shit gun.

What's the torque specs for the barrel nut??

READ THE FUCKING MANUAL!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top