Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 4:56:47 PM EDT
I am looking to build a AR. I have looked one line and in SGN. I have seen a wide range of prices, I have seen differant prices for differant pieces. It seems like piecing would be cheaper. but What would the quality be????  While they should all fit together, I wouldn't count on it.

Ideas, thoughts, ETC.

Thanks
Tim
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Cruise the board and consider what you will be using the rifle for. Check the EE too. If you peice it together you can get a custom rifle just the way you want/ need it. Most of the brand names seem to be fine, but as always their are lemons. My rifle is Colt, RRA, DPMS, CavArms, and Stag. No malfunctions so far.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
From my experience I would say buying in pieces is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Some times you must piece it together to get the configuration you want, but in general it is far cheaper to buy a complete kit. For exaple if you buy an upper from M1S it is like $320 without B/BC/CH, you can add the B/BC/CH for $85, but if you bought it seperately it cost about $130 for the B/BC/CH + shipping, so you normally get a break by ordering a more complete assembly.

LMK what you have in mind and I can tell you who, IMO, is cheapest/best, I keap a pretty close eye on the market.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you're buying used and can wait a few months to a year and don't mind watching the EE 24/7..................I've heard of guys building a whole weapon for like $200.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:52:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're buying used and can wait a few months to a year and don't mind watching the EE 24/7..................I've heard of guys building a whole weapon for like $200.

True.

I was speaking from a quality standpoint not a cost one. So it can go both ways.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
most cases a complete kit would be cheaper but the quality might not be all there.

i buy seperate to get the best.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
most cases a complete kit would be cheaper but the quality might not be all there.

i buy seperate to get the best.

Exactly.

I used to buy kits for the cost but found myself replacing a lot of the parts. I now buy seperate so I can spec exactly what I want.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
superior lowers.

bushy, RRA, AA uppers.

this stuff has worked for me well.  i do have colts and DPMS, but i prefer the other stuff for overall quality/price reasons.

septic tank

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top