Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:37:31 PM EDT
My dealer has both.  In the past I have only used Mega.  

The Oly stripped is $109 and the DPMS is $129.

I know there are better prices out there but by the time I pay the transfer fee, etc. it will come out the same.

My question is should I go with the Oly and save some $$ or get the DPMS.  I figure the DPMS could help resale due to Oly's less than great rep.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say anything about DPMS but on Oly i can.
I do not know why they have a less than great rep. I have two of there rifles. One they built and one that I built.  There customer service has been great. granted that all i do is drive to there shop and walk in and purchase.  I can say after all the research i have done is that there low end Lower is made from the same material as anyones.  but they do have higher end lowers to chose from.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I do not know why they have a less than great rep.

Just seems like they have less of a following than the ABC's and others.  Personally as long as it's in spec I wouldn't care, but I just wanted some opinions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I think oly is one of the best kept secrets out there.. and they are to spec..
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally don't like DPMS. But thats just me. I have an Oly rifle, and don't have any problems with it. And their customer service is awesome. It pretty much all comes down to personal opinion. get the one that you feel better buying.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I know excactly how you feel. good luck with what you find and on your build.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
oh and $109 for the Oly is a good deal I paid $135..
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
i would go with either.

but i do own a few dpms lowers and they have a great finish on them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both as well.  I prefer the DPMS over the Oly, mostly for resale value should I ever decide to sell.  Oly retooled everything a few years back, and the Oly of today is about 100,000,000,000 percent better than they ever were back in the early through late 90s.  

Still, you will find that they carry somewhat of that reputation to this day, especially here on ARFCOM due to their conduct.  That's part of what motivated them to start their own forums.

You're probably gonna hear a lot of slamming or praise of Olys, and heres why:
There are still some nuckle dragging trolls around that will bash Oly every chance that they get.  I can almost categorically guarntee you that they have not handled an Oly part made since 2000.  I used to be one of them back in the day.
I was the night manager of a gun shop/range for 7 years in the 90s and I had to fix LOTS of them, and their mag wells were WAY out of spec (ok, inconsistent from lower to lower at best).  I convinced the owner to stop carrying them after a full year audit of gun sales/repairs showed that we were doing repairs/replacements on Olys nearly 100% of the time.  Oly NEVER re imbursed us.  Oh, and we fixed them because Oly would cuss out the customers, accuse them of using out of spec ammo, all sorts of stuff, even refusing delivery of guns returned for waranty repair.  Any profit margin that we had in an Oly (only about 12%) was eaten up in repairs fast for us.

That is not the case today.  From what I understand, they bought new CNC machines and programs.  Everything that I have seen since about 2001 has been in spec, great fit and finish, and well deserving of a good name and reputation.  I would not hesitate to use a new manufacture Oly reciever.

Tom  

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Olympic arms has retooled with much more advanced machines since the 1999 fire which destroyed the entire plant. They probably are the only manufacture of ARs that make almost all their own parts. Still having a new plant, and high tech machines still does not mean they have turned a corner. If the same neanderthauls run the CNC machines or opertate the laths then there product is probably not much better than it was 10+ years ago. I still read complaints about poor quality control, always one of their big problems, and  lack of customer service.  Of course I have only read these complaints online, so who knows if they are accurate or what % of the total owners  have problems with Oly arms.  I have read more compliments of their products now than every before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Stag lowers are nice (CMT). I have had DPMS lowers as well as The newer Oly lowers and both were great to work with (fit and finish wise). I also have to agree that the newer Oly products seem to be very nice and deserve a second chance from all the haters (IMHO though).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had both... a pre 1990 "SGW" lower, and a 1994 Oly... both nice.

But my last four conventional lowers have all been DPMS.  All perfect.  (the other was a Cav Arms lower)

90% of mags consistently drop free from the DPMS's, and the old SGW.  The 1994 Oly mag well is snug on about half of my mags, won't drop free, but I don't have to force them.

I like the finish of the DPMS's, matches most of the uppers on the market.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can get a stag off the EE that should cost about the same as those lowers delivered. I'd take a Stag over either of those two.

True, you can get a Stag lower from Title II for $90 delivered. Find an FFL willing to do a $10 transfer and you have a top of the line lower for $100.

BTW: If you live in a different state from that of the seller of the lower you don't have to pay sales tax.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Im going to get me a mil-spec carbon fiber lower reciever soon.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll probably go DPMS.  All of my dealers charge a $25 transfer fee and $10 background check.  So $90 + $35 = $125 plus the wait.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BEST KEPT SECRET IN LOWERS

I agree.  I bought four from RBPrecision today at the Indy 1500 gun show.  Superior Arms is great.  I also got an A1 carryhandle for a flat top!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top