Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:51:03 PM EDT
I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this sounds about right for a final build price.  

RRA Lower, LPK and 6 position butt stock from Eaglefirearms.net for $257.75 (This includes shipping and $30.00 FFL transfer fee).

MI#17 2 Piece Tactical Rail Handguards from Bravocompanyusa.com for $137.90 (This includes shipping)

A.R.M.S. 40LSP BUIS from A.R.M.S. for $118.00 (This includes shipping)

Bushmaster 11.5/5.5 inch barrel on RRA upper with charging handle and bolt carrier group from GDS Enterprises for $487.55 (This includes shipping)

Grand Total - $1001.20

Does this sound about right for everything listed above?  This is my first build and I am just wanting to make sure that I don't spend more than I have to.  Thanks in advance.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some serious restrictions on barrel length for a rifle. Please check the law.  I'm sure someone else here knows about the Short Barreled Rifle category more than me.

The price for what you have listed seems right. I built a 24" Varmint flattop for 813.00 without bipod.

Quoted:
I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this sounds about right for a final build price.  

RRA Lower, LPK and 6 position butt stock from Eaglefirearms.net for $257.75 (This includes shipping and $30.00 FFL transfer fee).

MI#17 2 Piece Tactical Rail Handguards from Bravocompanyusa.com for $137.90 (This includes shipping)

Bushmaster 11.5/5.5 inch barrel on RRA upper with charging handle and bolt carrier group from GDS Enterprises for $487.55 (This includes shipping)

Grand Total - $1001.20

Does this sound about right for everything listed above?  This is my first build and I am just wanting to make sure that I don't spend more than I have to.  Thanks in advance.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
the bushmaster 11.5+5.5= perfectly legal.

sounds about right since you will be using quality parts along with aftermarket items. you could save some by shopping a bit more from dealers here and purchasing from less dealers to save on shipping.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What am I missing here?  His post reflects a legal build, how have we ended up with 2 posts questiong whether he is legit?

The only comment I would make is that you can build cheaper by looking around better.  I would also ask why you wanted the velocity limitations of the 11.5 & 5.5 barrel.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]

I would also ask why you wanted the velocity limitations of the 11.5 & 5.5 barrel.....

My thinking on the 11.5/5.5 barrel is this.  The main purpose for this rifle would be a patrol rifle that would mainly serve as a tactical entry rifle since my liberal chief would not give department letterhead to buy one.  The other reason is simply for the fact that I like the looks of the barrel.  I have never shot this barrel, however I would think that I could at least shoot effectively up to 300m.  When I was in the Army, we would shoot 300m + with the 14.5 M4 barrel effectively.  Granted I know that there is a 3 inch difference so may be I am way off base.  

Thanks to all the other posters, makes me feel a little better about the build and price.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
For your purpose why don't you just get a 14.5" (with pinned FH) or 16" barrel.  I understand that you are concerned about the ability to use the rifle in a CQB situation, but at least with the 14.5" barrel you overall length would be less than the Bushmaster 11.5" with increased muzzle velocity.

Now, if you want it for aesthetic reasons I see nothing wrong with the setup.

Either way have fun!

SBG
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would also ask why you wanted the velocity limitations of the 11.5 & 5.5 barrel.....

My thinking on the 11.5/5.5 barrel is this.  The main purpose for this rifle would be a patrol rifle that would mainly serve as a tactical entry rifle since my liberal chief would not give department letterhead to buy one.  The other reason is simply for the fact that I like the looks of the barrel.  I have never shot this barrel, however I would think that I could at least shoot effectively up to 300m.  When I was in the Army, we would shoot 300m + with the 14.5 M4 barrel effectively.  Granted I know that there is a 3 inch difference so may be I am way off base.  

Thanks to all the other posters, makes me feel a little better about the build and price.

The 11.5 w/5.5 FS only give you the muzzle velocity of an 11.5" barrel, but you are still stuck with the length of a 16" barrel.  Its a poor trade off.

For my patrol pig, I used a 14.5" barrel with perm affixed Phantom, which put me at a legal 16".   I own 11.5 & 5.5" barrels, but I won't use them for duty use.  The basic M4 barrel has shown to be a nice lighter weight barrel, and does well for me.  Right now I run a 16" prototype M4 barrel, and use the 14.5 as the barrel for my secondary/ training weapon.

ETA- For $1,000 plus the shipping prices from the various places, you would be better served with a RRA or Bushie
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
To answer the original question, I think the BUIS can be had about $10 cheaper, I got one at a gun show for $105, but it was not the SP version. Check with Technik on the EE for a potentially cheaper complete lower. I know he had them with the RRA 2 stage trigger for $315, significantly less with standard trigger. Hell, you can get a stripped one for $105 and a parts kit for $60, then assemble it yourself. Still need a stock though. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I am probably going to sound stupid but here goes.  I thought I had a pretty good handle on the barrel length law, meaning that it had to be 16 inches.  If I understand you right, I can have a 14.5 with a pinned FH, or does the 14.5 barrel with pinned FH make up 16 inches.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am probably going to sound stupid but here goes.  I thought I had a pretty good handle on the barrel length law, meaning that it had to be 16 inches.  If I understand you right, I can have a 14.5 with a pinned FH, or does the 14.5 barrel with pinned FH make up 16 inches.

Yes, if it's a phantom or other long flash hider. If it's a 14.5" with a regular A2 flash hider, it's a little short of being legal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Also, have you thought about a Stag upper?  Good product and you can pick it up from Eaglefirearms.net for $520 for the complete upper with the ARMS 40L SP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
A 14.75" CMMG barrel with an A2 flash hider is fine.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I would look at a 16" ultralight BM barrel long before considering a 11.5/5.5", especially on a patrol rifle.  Velocity is your friend- you are using this rifle to defend yourself.  For $1000 you might be able to get a complete factory rifle, shop around before buying.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/pre-ban/bura2b16sl.asp
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I think you guys have convinced me to change my upper configuration.  I think that I am going to go with the RRA A3 upper with the Bushy 14.5 and permanent Phantom FH with the A.R.M.S. 40SLP BUIS from PK Firearms.  Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

Chris
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top