Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 3:30:04 PM EDT
I just purchased a used tan VLTOR collapsable stock with tube for use on my black carbine. The tube ofcourse is black so it'll match but what do I do about the stock body? It was too good a deal to not get it for color reasons (Tan here in NY isn't an effective color). So I thought of my indoor lacrosse days and what we used to do to our plastic lacrosse sticks heads. We used multiple treatments of RIT dye (for clothes) to change the color of them. I did a little research and it turns out that some people with HK sl8's are getting their grey plastic stocks done with RIT dye! So should I dye it with the remote possibility of ruining it, or trade it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I would try a Krylon Fusion spray paint first.  You should be able to find a flat black and the Fusion line is made to sink into and bite the plastic for strength.

Wait, if it were me, I'd Duracoat it!!!  

more HERE
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Automotive stores carry dyes that will work on plastic.  Mostly for turning interior panels black.  You might try that, but I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the first thing I thought of but I think you'll get more gloss than you want...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats why we have the Want to Trade forum on the equipment exchange. Post an add and see if there is someone who wants to trade your tan stock for a black one.

Steve
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thats why we have the Want to Trade forum on the equipment exchange. Post an add and see if there is someone who wants to trade your tan stock for a black one.

Steve

This is what I would do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Dye it with RIT.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Before:

During (after 36 hours at room temp):

Finished(after half hour of using water heated to 150 degrees):

I used two dye boxes of RIT (available at Walmart) black 15. The during photo was after using hot tap water mixed with the dye with stock and pieces inserted for 36 hours. I think most of the darkening occured when water was warm. I decided to warm dye solution in Pot until it was at 150 degrees then put stock in and let sit for half hour.  That did the trick. However the caps may be made out of a different plastic as they are still somewhat tan and are  in the dye solution as I post this. Now I gotta clean the pot as my wife is standing over my shoulder giving me an earful
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
That'll match some Bushmaster Blacks very well!

I liked your rifle with the tan Vltor and sling.  (Never like the Ergos)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The before picture is of the guy's rifle who sold me the stock. It's an actual pic of the stock before I got it. It didn't occur to me to take one  before I started. I like the A2 grip myself. And as for tan, I would like it if we had desert around, lol. I think about the only time it would blend in here would be in the fall. I finished the compartment caps, too. I had to heat the dye up to 180 degrees to get them to take color and they aren't as dark as the stock. More of a dark grey. I bought the stock with tube and cheekweld compartments for $70 shipped on the EE. Not too shabby I think.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#12]
interesting
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#13]
NICE,  There is something about "doing it yourself " that you can't get from trading it for the one you need. Nice JOB
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#14]
napoleon,

nice...

s.tank
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:48:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I've RIT dyed many parts, including VLTOR.

Stay away from "black". It may give you a black/purple hue.

I mix one full box of dark green with one box of dark brown (wayyy overkill)...works better than black. I let the parts lightly simmer for over an hour. The longer it simmers, the deeper the dye penetrates.

ETA: Before you dye, make sure yoiu degrease everything with Dawn, Simple Green, etc. Oils will make your finish uneven.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top