Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 7:26:04 PM EDT
I did this fall 05 I think but didnt have a good camera. Well my girlfirend bought me a good camera for Christmas so I needed to take pics of stuff

The lower is a Tanneryshop 80% blemmished lower. I think I paid aoubt $60 for it and was more than happy with the finish of the casting. It had some small pores in certain areas the size of a needle. I did all the work for the most part on a prototrac mill. This probablly takes longer than using a jig but its what I had access to.

The finish is Norrels moly resin flat grayish black. It doesnt match the upper perfectly but its what I had and looks good to me. FCG is DPMS and the upper is a hesse I got off of a member here really really cheap. I have turned down the barrel completely for a lighter weight and slotted the upper for a left side charger.

IN the pics you'll notice my charging handle on the side broke. I drilled and tapped the bolt carrier for 1/4-28 but I dont think its going to be beefy enough. I need to get the broken screw out and step up to maybe 5/16's screw thread. The standard charging handle still works though

The serial graphic was also done on the prototrac mill with a cad drawing I was able to aquire and refit to my specs. I used a small carbide engraving cutter to do both the skull and fire/safe graphics. I used automotive touch up paint to fill in.

I have roughly 5 hours in the lower and refinish. Lots of labor but I enjoy creating and learning at the same time. The rifle shoots great, very light and is pretty accurate with its humble parts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Basically, it looks good. The side chargers look takes some getting used to .... but basically the rifle looks good!

But what's up with the EXTRA LARGE "safe" and "fire" markings? ....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting!
Too bad the handle broke!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Basically, it looks good. The side chargers look takes some getting used to .... but basically the rifle looks good!

But what's up with the EXTRA LARGE "safe" and "fire" markings? ....

The side charger feels natural to me as Iam left handed. The large fire markings were for my bad eyes to see easily
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Another reason to dislike a side charger...  did you convert it or was it like that when you got it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another reason to dislike a side charger...  did you convert it or was it like that when you got it?

No, it broke because I used too small of a screw not because its a bad design. I converted it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
nice looking set up
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, it broke because I used too small of a screw not because its a bad design. I converted it.

With a solid bolt wouldn't it snag on clothes and skin?

I like the 80% lower
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the 80% lower

Ive never had any problems with snagging.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the 80% lower

Ive never had any problems with snagging.

Doesn't the bolt that was there travel by the bolt catch? I hit the release with the palm of my hand do you move your hand real quick or is the lever real low?
I ask because I shoot my AR prone and that would work better than charging handle. They make a upper with a lever but i think it folds.
It's a tuff looking AR and I like it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh ok I see what you mean now. Yes thats a drawback about the bolt release. I actualy ground the top down a little so it would miss the side charger. You have to either watch where you put your finger or tap it really fast when releasing the bolt. I know they make extensions for the bolt release and I was either going to look into that or come with something on my own.

So many projects, so little time
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top