Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:51 PM EDT
My Del-Ton M4 upper came in with the A2 FH canted to the right about 10 degrees. It's not a huge issue, it just looks funny, and irks me.

I know I can just take it off, but if the threading is crooked as well, the FH will go right back on the same way.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#1]
right from what?

looking from the rear of the barrel or from the front?

if its looking from the rear of the barrel then just get the appropiate size wrench and tighten a bit more till aligned if the other way around remove the flash hider and reinstall.

the a2 should have a crush washer on it and it is used to time the flash hider.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking from the rear of the rifle as you look down the sights
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If it has a crush washer, using the proper size wrench, adjust it... You might want to wrap a piece of tape around the FH where the wrench will make contact so you dont leave tooling marks...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just so I get this right, and don't damage my gun...

Looking toward the front of the barrel, the FH is tilted a bit to the RIGHT.

So to remedy this, I use a wrench and crank it LEFT....correct?

It seems silly, but I don't want to break anything.

Will I need a new washer?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If its at least a 16" barrel the FH should be just screwed on... If the barrel is under 16" it is more than likely pinned and welded to the barrel...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Looking toward the front of the barrel, the FH is tilted a bit to the RIGHT.

So to remedy this, I use a wrench and crank it LEFT....correct?

If its NOT welded to the barrel, yes, just twist it to the left...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Are the slots simply not indexed at the top or 12 O'clock position.?  OR is the FH actually mounted crooked?  If the latter, maybe it is cross threaded onto the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The slots are not indexed at 12 o'clock. I am assuming the FH is on all the way. I don't want to loosen it by twisting it back off, though.

And it's a 16" bbl, so it's screwed on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
there should be a crush washer in place and what it does is crush to help aid in indexing the muzzle device.

loosen it and then retighten accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Peel washers work good for indexing a flashider
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it true that crush washers can only be used once?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Crap, I totally misunderstood, nevermind
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, here are photos of the rifle.

You can see here that the slot closest to the 12 o'clock position is in fact off to the right.

Here is a muzzle-on view.

Again.

And a shot of the washer. I am assuming it is a crush-type?

What would be the best course of action? Which way does the FH thread go? Would turning it to the left loosen or tighten it?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like you have to tighten a smidge!
Righty tighty lefty loosey!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it has the crush washer...

If facing the opening of the muzzle, you would want to turn it clockwise to correct that timing...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Crap, I totally misunderstood, I thought you meant it was canted as in angled to the right of the bore, not rotated.  The proper answer has already been posted.

Quoted:
If it has a crush washer, using the proper size wrench, adjust it... You might want to wrap a piece of tape around the FH where the wrench will make contact so you dont leave tooling marks...

clockwise as you look down into the muzzle
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Do not put the FS top slot at the 12:00 position.

The top slot is off indexed top dead center to prevent the Flash from whiting out your sight picture when fired (read low light conditions). The top slot indexed at either 11:00 or at 1:00 is the correct position.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The top slot is off indexed top dead center to prevent the Flash from whiting out your sight picture when fired (read low light conditions). The top slot indexed at either 11:00 or at 1:00 is the correct position.

If the flash makes it up that high you'd better switch to a more efficient FH...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

with slots all around the top side of the flashhider you will have blindness regardless of how off or canted you install the flashhider. your eyes will be looking through the fsb area so the flash surrounding it will be in your view.

if flash bothers you then switch to a better flash hider since the a2 isnt the greatest thing out there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, tried to tighten it with a wrench...It wasn't budging.

Guess it will just have to bother me.

Will it affect accuracy at all? I haven't benched it yet, but I was curious.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

OK. Try this: I had the same situation and I didn't want to tighten the fh too much. Just unscrew the flash hidder and take the crush washer off and get some emery cloth or a file. Take the Crush washer
( small diameter side down ) and sand or file a little bit off until you can snug it up tight to index the fh. You can use blue or purple loctite to hold it on. When ever you need to take it off just use some heat. Over a stove burnner or a propane tourch to loosen the loctite.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool, I'll try that. You can reuse the CW right?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

are you doing this in a vise with action blocks and the proper tools are just holding it by hand and attempting to torque it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Are we sure that's a crush washer and not a split ring (or whatever it's called) washer?

Maybe my eyes are deceiving me but it looks like a split ring washer to me, meaning you need to stop wrenching on that FH and use a crush or peel washer instead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
are you doing this in a vise with action blocks and the proper tools are just holding it by hand and attempting to torque it?

+1

And absolutely NO need to have to use files, stones, grinders, loctite or heat to do the job...

All you need is an action block, vise, tape and wrench...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#26]
shit....and you same guys make fun of me because I want the parkerizing on my Colt Carbine's bolt carrier to be black instead of gray.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Cool, I'll try that. You can reuse the CW right?

Yes, you reuse the CW as long as it's not crushed too much. You will may or not have to sand or file again if you use it on another barrel. Of couarse you can only do this so many times. It will look like a regular washer after so many times.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, you guys got me.... I would never have even noticed that.

But, according to the TM, the third slot is supposed to be top dead center.
Learn something new, everyday..........
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Isn't it under warranty? Would messing with it void that warranty? I'd suggest calling the vendor and asking about it. That sounds like piss poor workmanship.

Quoted:
My Del-Ton M4 upper came in with the A2 FH canted to the right about 10 degrees. It's not a huge issue, it just looks funny, and irks me.

I know I can just take it off, but if the threading is crooked as well, the FH will go right back on the same way.

Any suggestions?

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top