Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 10:09:00 AM EDT
i just bought a couple superior arms lowers, actually my wife saw me eyeballing them at a gun show and bought them for me.  i picked up some lower parts kits from RB Precision and they allowed me to swap some parts out.  i picked up some alternate grips and pins, and also bought the JP spring kits for each.  

the unique part of this lower is the set screw they drill and tap into the lower lug just beside the hole for the grip screw.  this set screw contacts the bottom of the aft portion of the trigger.  with the safety on, just screw in the set screw until it contacts the trigger and back it off the desired amount.  i backed mine off 1/8th turn.  this takes all the slack out of the trigger - nice.  i used a dremel tool and lightly buffed the engagement points of the trigger and sear.  i didn't want to change geometry, i just wanted it smooth without beveling the edges.  when i added the jp spring kit and gave this thing a try i was VERY impressed.  i've spent in excess of $200 for a drop in trigger before and many times points just south - this lower with a $10 JP spring kit come very close.  just adjust the set screw for the amount of desired travel (down to none if you wish), and add the lower weight springs and you'll have a first rate single or two stage trigger, depending on how you wish to adjust things.  

the quality of the superior arms lowers is fantastic, and after buying from them and their master distributor rb precision, i can say i'm hooked.  maybe i'm posting something here you guys already know about, but prior to salivating over them at a gun show, i didn't know anything about them.  i didn't know the set screw concept existed.  

two thumbs way up!  if you haven't tried them, you should consider it.  

let's hear some feedback.  

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I just finished a Superior lower with the trigger over travel adjustment as well.  It is a cool feature.  I'm using a standard trigger set up that does have a bit a trigger pull.  But with that overtravel screw in there it soaks up most of it.  I adjusted mine to as minumum travel as I could.   I backed the screw out until I could just move the safety selector from safe to fire.  With the screw in too far this was impossible.  I built mine as a beater rifle though, for the most part.  I do have to say for the money it is a very nice forged  lower reciever.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just finished a Superior lower with the trigger over travel adjustment as well.  It is a cool feature.  I'm using a standard trigger set up that does have a bit a trigger pull.  But with that overtravel screw in there it soaks up most of it.  I adjusted mine to as minumum travel as I could.   I backed the screw out until I could just move the safety selector from safe to fire.  With the screw in too far this was impossible.  I built mine as a beater rifle though, for the most part.  I do have to say for the money it is a very nice forged  lower reciever.

no joke, i forgot to mention that.  the price on a lower is right there in the running with the rest.  i would expect to pay a little more for this feature and quality, but the price is right!

glad to hear you liked yours.  did you use the standard trigger springs or alternate weights?

thanks,

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm happy with the one I have, but it's really early and doesn't have the set-screw feature.

If I ever get any more money, I have another Superior lower planned.

I got mine off Robert over a year ago, but they were cheaper then.....$80 out the door

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I got mine off Robert over a year ago, but they were cheaper then.....$80 out the door

WIZZO

I must have paid an extra $9 for the trigger overtravel feature then.  

septic-tank, I used a regular old trigger set.  To be honest, the trigger pull with the springs I used seemed to be more than any other AR type rifle I have ever fondled.  But installing that screw really seemed to help.  I could see where some lighter springs would really make that feature shine.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

I must have paid an extra $9 for the trigger overtravel feature then.  

septic-tank, I used a regular old trigger set.  To be honest, the trigger pull with the springs I used seemed to be more than any other AR type rifle I have ever fondled.  But installing that screw really seemed to help.  I could see where some lighter springs would really make that feature shine.  

it did just that.  robert told me to try the JP springs and it worked great.  the pull is around 4.5 to 5 lbs if i remember right.  nice, safe, trigger - just what a guy needs, and i didn't spend $200 bucks to get it.  

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Robert is the MAN!
Great guy to deal with!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Robert is the MAN!
Great guy to deal with!!!

+1, and the Superior lowers are very nice
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered two of these lowers from RB Precision (one for a pistol & one for a rifle), both were the blemished ones he had for $75.00 ea. They are still in mail on the way to my FFl here in Guam, so I have yet to get my hands on them. I don't know if they are new or old with or with out the adjustment screw you are talking about. Guess I'll find out soon. Nice to hear good words about my purchases.
You guys are right about Robert & Krista, great folks to deal with.

Gene
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a new Superior Arms "Pistol Only" Lower Receiver  frm RB Precision a short while ago, and it has that trigger over-travel set-screw feature.  I'm glad that I read this post, now I have to call Robert or Krista, to add the JP Spring Kit

I asked for some "Extra" engraving, it's a little out of the ordinary, but the guys at Superior were VERY Open to hear my thoughts of what I was asking for.  I really can't wait until it arrives at my FFL.  I'll post some photo's when I receive it.

I can easily say that RB Precision is a great place to order from, and they believe in customer service,

Chief
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oly was doing that 15 years ago, keep an eye on it they have a habit of going out of time and doubling when worn.

which gets worn and causes a double fire?  the worn set screw or the JP springs?

how many rounds does this take?  any guess?

thanks,

s.tank
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Are all new Superior lowers marked Safe/Semi/Auto?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:05:28 AM EDT
[#14]
as far as i know, they are all coming that way regardless of whether they are regular or "pistol" marked...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a Stag and a Superior receiver from Rob last spring and they are both great pieces. My Superior is old enough it doesn't have the extra screw. I sure wouldn't hesitate to buy another Superior though.

And a big +1 on RP Precision's customer service! Rob and Krista are great people!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#16]

I will break from the common theme of joy here & be the devils advocate:

I would consider it a case for a product liability lawsuit when something goes wrong with the trigger because of an improperly adjusted or worn trigger, loose stop screw. Eventually something can & will go wrong! Kind of like having a 1911 with a trigger w/travel adjustment on a working firearm. Some may like all the trick gadgets & comp gizmos. That’s fine if it works for you but I follow the K.I.S.S. principal.

Maybe at worst the gun might not fire when needed! I’m really not all that familiar with the setup though. Maybe some working gunsmiths on the board can give us some insight to this & product liability insurance issues?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
i'm no armorer.  i've sat here and stared at this thing for an hour now...

if the screws were to move and the loctite doesn't hold the result is two things:

1. i'll get more travel in my trigger - the whole reason i adjusted the screw up was to eliminate it.
2. i'll have a trigger that will fire once and not fire a second time as well as the safety may be hard to actuate

right?  or wrong?  if either, how so?

don't get me wrong fellas...  i'm not saying they are the only game in town, but i am impressed with the addition of $10 worth of springs and a set screw, some careful dremel time that i now have a first rate trigger.  no more, no less.

so what's the scoop?  did i get it right or not?

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#18]
On the Superior lowers do the front pivot pin bosses seem to be smaller than on other lowers ?  Looking at some of the pics it seems that there is not as large of a fillet into the front face of the magwell and the outside diameter of the bosses above the fillet is also less.  If this is the case I would be careful when handling the rifle with it broken open.  Maybe I am being O/C but that is my nature.

rj
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#19]
pics added.

2-6-06
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered a blem from Krista today from the 'cave'  [ private joke ].  I'm going to mount my AF M16 upper on it and not have to be swapping it back and forth onto my RRA NM lower that I bought for my Model 1 6.8 yote/hog upper.  I have the LPK that came with the Mdl 1 6.8 kit so I might as well use it. A Mdl 1 LPK ain't worth nothing to sell   .  

I already have the correct early M16 buttstock and pistol grip. Too bad the lower isn't the correct gray.  BANG BANG is the main thing. Might have to make a Swingset bumpfire device

rj
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Not all of the lowers have the auto marking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I drove down there and picked up one of the lowers last Friday. It had the 3 dots that you show, but it does not have the auto stamped on the rec.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
hmmm...

i guess i can't tell you which units have or have not the markings.  i was only aware of the regular units and the "pistol only" units - both of which had safe, semi, and auto markings.

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey Septic-Tank: you're probably prejudiced because the Superiors are made in Iowa!  They are nice.  I just took an armorers course at DE (Superior does their CY6 parts) and a couple of the guys had Superior lowers.  They were very pleased with the fit and finish.  I just got some in stock for my customers here in WI.

RB is always great to deal with.

They also have 6.8 SPC marked lowers.  I have one of those on order also.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey Septic-Tank: you're probably prejudiced because the Superiors are made in Iowa!  They are nice.  I just took an armorers course at DE (Superior does their CY6 parts) and a couple of the guys had Superior lowers.  They were very pleased with the fit and finish.  I just got some in stock for my customers here in WI.

RB is always great to deal with.

They also have 6.8 SPC marked lowers.  I have one of those on order also.

admittedly, if i can buy local i choose to!!!  i'm tickled that not only are they local but the work is what i expect.  options, custom engraving, RBP does a great job, the list goes on and on...

septic tank
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#26]
At the risk of sounding like a TOTAL newb, which I am not. what do you use to color in the dots and the SAFE, FIRE, AUTO on the reciever?  It looks cool!

Thanks!

Mike

NEVER MIND: Upon further review of the second picture I believe I found my answer!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:08:34 AM EDT
[#27]
yeah...  those model car paints give it away if you look close enough...

i used a tooth pick to "dob" small amounts of paint into the hole/depression.  most anything else is too big.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#28]
measurements of Superior Arms lower

I noticed that their lower essentially meets the same "spec" listed in the 1993 CAD drawings found on ARFCOM. My Ameetec Arms lower "exceeds" the spec by having more material around the bosses/holes in critical areas.

That said, if everyone w/ Superior lowers is essentially saying that they have no problems with the thin-walled pivot boss, then I'm fine with it. I was just concerned it may crack in the future.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#29]
It will only be a potential prob due to rough handling with the rifle broke open. If someone is concerned they can just pop the front pin first and separate the upper and lower completely for cleaning.  I do this 99% of the time anyway.

rj
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Tank,
 Check your buffer protusion. Check the other Superior thread.

rj
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I posted this in the other thread as well.... I want no question that is you are not satisfied that we want the chance to satisfy you.  

To All expressing concerns:
Most here are expressing concerns about Blem Lowers. If you are dissatisfied with the product I will buy them back no questions asked. If you would like to exchange it for the difference in cost to a "non blem" ( Advertised price $96.00, so $21.00 difference) I will exhange it for a lower not classified as a blem.
There were a few where a scratch between the trigger holes caused a wierd look after buffing. That issue has been addressed. The trigger guard roll pin hole sometimes does get down on the forging radius for various reasons and is very hard to inspect for ovality without a gage pin. This is the first I have heard on the Carrier/ buffer contact issue, but will be investigating it this afternoon. RB is at SHOT, and is one of my distributors. I will make it right with you , as I want no question that we stand behind our product.
The "spec/nonspec" around the front pivot pin is interesting. There is so much talk about be " out of spec" that If we had decided to make the boss thicker I feel we would have been criticized for that as well. If you are dissatisfied with your product IM me your phone number and arrangements will be made to satisfy you.

Leo Williams
Superior Arms
email your phone number/ best time to contact
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]
What kind/size screw do you use for the set screw? I just finished building my first rifle and have the JP sping kit and want to try the set screw as well but don't know where to get it or find one. Thanks.

Conor
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
New guy here, but as the proud owner of two SA receivers I can say that the set screw is a 1/4 28tpi screw (AKA 1/4 National Fine, just like the grip screw).  I had little trouble finding them at the hardware store.  My mini The Home Depot did not have them, but another large mom-n-pop store had them.  It wasn't very hard to find.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a thought: the setscrew should be the nylock type so it won't move after positioning.  I did get the screws with my receivers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top