Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2005 12:49:58 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I have a few questions regarding free-float hand guards, first off what is the difference between free-float hand guards and non-free-float hand guards, secondly is one a better platform than the other  basically what are the pro’s and con’s between the two different platforms. I’m planning on building another AR but I’m confused when it comes to the free-float hand guard option, so any information you can give on this topic is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.  

I hope everyone here had and safe and happy holiday.

VERITAS

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi, a non-free-float handguards are the standard ones that are on most ARs in the market.

The front of the handguard is held by a front cap which is at the rear of the front sight base and the rear of the handguard is held by the spring tension of the delta ring.

The free-float handguards are only mounted on the barrel nut which allows the barrel to free float which gives it a slighty more accuracy and less changes in point of impact.

I have two 16" carbines, one have a non-free-float rails which I prefer for general short range use and I have one with a free-float rails and better quality barrel which is for more accuracy and long range use.

Cheers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top