Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 6:09:49 PM EDT
Anybody know some good sources at reasonable prices?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
ADCO has chrome lined RRA (Wilson) midlengths in stock for $205.  I bought one a couple of years ago, I have been 100% satisfied with their products and service
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I am philosophically opposed to the HBAR.  Can I find them in .gov profile?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
They should have what you are looking for:

AR15BARREL.com
ABS
CMMG
G&R Tactical
MSTN
Sabre Defence (contact Talon Arms)
Bravo Company will have them in the first quarter of next year.

I just built my mid weight Denny's (Global Tactical) Operator mid length, chrome lined barrel and it's a high quality barrel and I'm very satisfied with it.

It's profile is between the gov't and HBAR and only slightly heavier than a standard gov't barrel.

I've had standard HBAR rifles before and I don't like them either, I prefer them in match grade.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
100% CMMG
John is a great guy, I wish that more people in the industry were like him.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
100% CMMG

[b]+1
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ADCO has chrome lined RRA (Wilson) midlengths in stock for $205.  I bought one a couple of years ago, I have been 100% satisfied with their products and servicehug.gif

Are these parkerized under the FSB? I saw a thread a while back that listed this for every maker (as well as the supplier) but can't find it now...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are these parkerized under the FSB?

That's about as important as the choice in FONT a company chooses to stamp the caliber and twist on the barrel.

Seriously? I read a while back that moisture could get trapped under the FSB and cause rust. Is this nothing more than an urban myth?

What about M4 feedramps. I'm building a 16" midlength that will lead a life of law enfocement so I need maximum durability and ultra reliability. As you can tell from my post count, I'm new to building and working with AR's. I've been researching this for a while now but AR's have prooven to be a very very deep topic with every component requiring multiple weeks of research.

On the subject of barrels, parkerizing under the FSB and M4 ramps are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the questions I've got... This is exhausting, yet quite a bit of fun.

On top of all of this, I'm very anal when it comes to purchasing the best possible equipment at a resonable price. Especially when it comes to something that could mean life or death.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Parkerizing is a water based solution.
When they parkerize barrels, the barrels are in a boiling hot bath for 5-10 minutes.
If parkerizing solution can't get under the FSB, what are the chances that enough cold water to cause a rust problem will get in there during use?
Is there a little rust under there? Sure, but it's really just a discoloration, not a growth.
Will it ever be an issue? No Way.

I didn't even think that the process used to parkerize was water based (although, I knew that). That does make perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll be sure to remember when it comes time to purchase a barrel.

As for the M4 ramps, how can I be assured that my barrel will have them? I see a lot of companies advertise M4 barrels where in reality this just means an M4 profile and includes the standard "rifle" ramps not the true M4 ramps. Basically what I need/want is a threaded 16" midlength with a standard FSB and M4 ramps (does this put this thread back on topic, somewhat?)...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
100% CMMG

CMMG has done me right and I will continue to buy from them in the future.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All M4 barrels are not created equal.
Rock River, DPMS or Bushmaster will certainly sell you an M4 profiled barrel without the M4 feedramps.
LMT and Colt will have M4 ramps, but neither company makes midlength barrels.
By definition, an M4 barrel will also be a carbine-length gas system, not a mid-length profile.
There's no such thing as a Midlength M4 barrel, the M203 cut falls in the middle of the mid-length gas block seat.

That I knew. It's not the M4 profile that I'm after, it's the ramps. I do want to stay midlength though. I was looking at this barrel from GT -> www.globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=242&prd=243 The $325 is a bit more than I want to go (was hoping to stay around $250) but from what I've read, this is a very high quality barrel.

With M4 feedramps, you also need a receiver with the M4 cuts, so don't forget that.
Your best solution is to buy a barreled receiver, that way you know both parts are ramped and it will already be torqued together for you.

CMMG, Bravo or Denny can likely set you up with what you need.
I don't do chrome lined barrels.
I specialize in custom made match grade target barrels.

There are 2 different heights of front sight bases, A2 and "F"
The difference being that an A2 is the right height to work with an A2 receiver and the "F" height is correct for a Flattop receiver.

M4 ramped A2 receivers are not very common, the only source being Colt and they are very high priced.
Let's assume you are doing a flattop upper.
You will want the "F" height FSB on your barrel.
Make sure you specify that when you are ordering it.

I am doing a flattop. Forgot that their was a difference in the FSB hight (figures though). I'll be sure to get the "F" height, thanks for the reminder. I have a feeling that when it comes time to order, I'll be spending some quality time on the phone making sure that I order what I really need.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top