Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 9:48:25 AM EDT
I'm looking to build my first AR and I've come down to this.  I've decided on a RRA stripped lower from Tactical Solutions.  Where I'm stuck is where to buy my kit from.  I want a stainless barrel and a flat top upper, and upgrade to the M4 stock.  It looks like M&A would be the place to go but J&T has a lot of good feedback, though I don't necessarily see the configuration I want as an option.  Any opinions or feedback on M&A?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
i prefer jt.

call them and tell them what you are looking for or just post in the industry forum under jt.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've built a couple of rifles with Model1 uppers, and the performance was perfect. I avoid their LPK, which can be a bit rough. Inspect the bolt carrier also - you may have to clean up the back to avoid it chewing the buffer face. Otherwise, good uppers at aggressive prices.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered a Model 1 upper ....  I'll report back when it arrives ....  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I just finished a rifle that I intended as a "budget beater".  I used a Model 1 parts kit which for the price I would say you cant really go wrong.  I ordered it with an A2 upper with chrome lined barrel.  I tried the upper out on my complete Armalite lower and it fit just fine.  The only things I had issues with in the kit were the detents for the take down and pivot pins, and the bolt catch needed to be drilled just a hair larger so it would move a little more freely.  Very simple and cheap fixes, so not a big deal.   You can see the rifle and a discription on the last page of the build it yourself thread.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on J&T !  I have built 4 AR's with there kits and #5 will be a J&T also .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm looking to build my first AR and I've come down to this.  I've decided on a RRA stripped lower from Tactical Solutions.  Where I'm stuck is where to buy my kit from.  I want a stainless barrel and a flat top upper, and upgrade to the M4 stock.  It looks like M&A would be the place to go but J&T has a lot of good feedback, though I don't necessarily see the configuration I want as an option.  Any opinions or feedback on M&A?

I've had no problems with my build on an M&A kit and was planning on ordering another kit from them, however, since they've recently substantially raised their prices on the kits I was looking at, I am currently leaning towards J&T for my next build as they are quite a bit less expensive now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Built this lightweight with a Model 1 kit.  Total cost was $515+.  I also had to ream out the bolt release pin hole.  Otherwise the upper receiver is excellent.  The only possible critiques so far is that the gas block has casting marks and the D ring isn't as black as the rest.

The gun prints close to 1MOA with cheap shelf ammo and hasn't burped in the first 140 (and most of it was Wolf).

Compared to my Custom Clark Gator the little Stag/M1 beater gun is a nice compliment for half the cost.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had no problems with my build on an M&A kit and was planning on ordering another kit from them, however, since they've recently substantially raised their prices on the kits I was looking at, I am currently leaning towards J&T for my next build as they are quite a bit less expensive now.

I noticed a lot of RRA dealers raised their prices quite substantially as well.  Don't know what's going on with the recent price jumps...

sigsauer_pdx,

Eaglefirearms also carries RRA stainless uppers in midlength.  I've also had excellent service from Del-ton and RBPrecision.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]
of the 3 JT. But RRA would be my choice
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I've built several M1S kits and had no real problems.  One had a misaligned gas block, but it IS a kit, dontcha know and a gas block is an extremely easy fix.

However...

M1S appears to have raised prices also, and are now the same price as J&T, etc..  And price was the main reason I built M1S, so next build will probably come from J&T.  M1S parts (as opposed to kits) are starting to get out of line, imho.  I can buy cheaper parts from other folks, now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Now I'm looking at Eagle Firearms and it looks like I could build the AR I want for under $700 completely out of RRA components.  The same gun with RRA stripped lower and M&A or even JT would only be $60-$95 less.  Am I better off just going RRA all the way?  It looks like Eagle Firearms in legit, any feedback?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Eagle Firearms--good prices-great people to do business with, most of my builds are from their parts, and not a single problem.  Model 1 has also been good to me, although opinions are mixed about  Model 1.  Its your first build--it wont be your last
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Now I'm looking at Eagle Firearms and it looks like I could build the AR I want for under $700 completely out of RRA components.  The same gun with RRA stripped lower and M&A or even JT would only be $60-$95 less.  Am I better off just going RRA all the way?  It looks like Eagle Firearms in legit, any feedback?

Rock River has a great product and Eaglefirearms is one of my favorite dealers.  If you purchase a complete RRA upper from Eaglefirearms you get RRA's lifetime warranty and accuracy guarantee.  I am extremely happy with my RRA midlength.  It shoots every bit as well as promised.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Never had a problem with model 1.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top