Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT
1.) I am looking for some opinions based on experience, as to what are the most durable finishes to use on an AR that will see rough and heavy usage.

2.) How difficult is the finish to apply?

3.) what are the best methods for applying the finish?

TIA for your opinions or observations.

HIGH ANGLE HELL!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have personally used GunKote from KG.  It works and holds up really well.  It is fairly easy to put on just make sure what the part is grease free and both the part and the paint are warm (it seems to make things go on more uniformly).  I have also heard nothing but good things about Norrells Moly Resin, which is basically the same as the GunKote in terms of application.

As a side note: KG was nice enough to send me color samples of their products because the it is hard to get good pictures.  They have been really nice to deal with and stand behind their stuff.

-C4-
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
We really need to get a refinishing forum, this topic comes up all the time, and is ongoing through several different sections of the site.....

I've vote for Norrells, most everything done with it has worked out quite nicely for me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
CeraKote, KG GunKote, & DuraCoat will all give excellent results. If optics and or electronics are on the list to refinish use an ambient cure product.

CeraKote is my personal favorite. None of the coatings are hard to apply. Single part coatings are the easiest to use. Use an airbrush or HVLP gravity feed gun for application. Stickman did an excellent how to for Moly application. The same basic steps are used for all of the coatings.

The most difficult part is picking out the color you want.

Joe

Where can you buy CeraKote?

-C4-
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your advice and oninions I greatly appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If you paint the receiver and don't annodize it, it will not be as hard so wear may be a problem.  In that case I would use blue Loctite on the hammer pin and trigger pin so they do not turn.  After assembly just put a drop on each pin-receiver surface on the outside and wait a minute then wipe off excess.  The pins will not turn then.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top