Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 7:34:15 AM EDT
Hi all.  I am about to purchase the parts to build my first AR -- a highly accurate 20" stainless HBAR or varmint barrel.  It will be used mostly for benchrest target and varmint shoots.

I was originally planning to just buy a RRA varmint upper and NM lower but since I shoot left-handed and will occassionally shoot this AR suppressed, I wanted to avoid face-fulls of gas and decided to base the build on a Stag left-hand discharge upper receiver.

I do not handload; I will be shooting everything from cheap brass (maybe even super cheap Wolf??) for fun shoots through Black Hills Sierra MatchKings or whatever factory load shoots best for long-distance target shoots (probably no more than 400-600 yards).

So, here is my build list so far.  I would appreciate comments on the expected accuracy and completeness of parts list.  Based on pricing I've found I think I should be able to do this all for under $1,000.

Lower:
RRA National Match lower with 6-pos stock

Upper:
Stag left-hand flattop upper receiver (stripped)
Stag left-side forward assist
RRA ejection port cover and spring
RRA bolt carrier and key
RRA charging handle
RRA free float aluminum tube
RRA gas block, tube and pin
20" Douglas premium air-gauged stainless 1:8 barrel (pre-ban) with matched bolt (Compass Lake)

Tools:
Armorer's wrench
Tactical CAR stock wrench
AR-15 vise block
Punch set
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not very familar with the lefty uppers, but wouldn't they use their own bolt carrier assembly (not a standard)? Charging handle as well?

As for tools, I'm assuming that when you say "vise block" that you are referring to an action block and not the vise block that holds the lower (as these won't work for barrelling.)

Good luck with your build. It sounds nice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm not very familar with the lefty uppers, but wouldn't they use their own bolt carrier assembly (not a standard)? Charging handle as well?

As for tools, I'm assuming that when you say "vise block" that you are referring to an action block and not the vise block that holds the lower (as these won't work for barrelling.)

Good luck with your build. It sounds nice. hr

I have two lefty's. The have a left handed bolt carrier, left handed bolt, and a left handed ejection port cover that flips up, not down (although it is probably just mounted that way) The charging handle is the same.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The reason the dust cover flips up instead of down is because they didn't move the bolt release over to the right side.

The bolt release is below the ejection port on the left, so the dust cover had to flip up instead.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top