AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 11:20:45 AM EDT
Has anyone used a fire lapping kit?  
What are your thoughts on it?
Thanks,
-RC
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used one, as I have no inclination to put abrasives in my barrel's bore.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've never used one, as I have no inclination to put abrasives in my barrel's bore.

Same here, I've seen what a LITTLE metal to metal contact does, Just shoot it, that should "lap" it just fine, You'll even have some fine grit to help it out if you don't clean it every other shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Im going to go ahead and try it out.  I should have a range report tomorrow night so i guess we'll see
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
tag for outcome
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thumbs down.  Just prematurely wearing out your barrel.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Every decent barrel is lapped, either by machine or by hand.  Firelapping is just another way to smooth the bore.  If done properly it will work wonders on rough bores.  If done wrong, as with anything else, it will make a mess.

Follow the direction and you will have a very smooth and accurate bore.

I have found the greatest gains using .22 lr firelapping cartridges.  I have used them on my CZ-452's and the accuracy increased by going from 1moa to under .5moa.

I have not done it with an AR yet, but my varmint barrel does not have the accuracy that I was hoping for so I will probably use it real soon.

Tubb Final Finish is sold in many stores and cataloges.

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have to chuckle a bit cause IIRC P O Ackley basiclly said the same thing about hand lapping of new barrels, but most custom barrel hand lap thier barrels today and air guages show they are more uniform after lapping.

Lots of discussion of this topic, enjoy.  People that have sluged the muzzle and breach before and after didn't notice any premature wear.

This is a must see too, amazing how rough a stock mass produced barrel can be.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
one thing to note:these are similar to the tubbs bullets.  A local guy in reno sells these kits.  its a pack of 50 bullets, 10 each of grit 220, 400, 800, and 20 each 1200.  They are loaded for something like 1/2 velocity.  will have report tomorrow, didnt get to it today.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I used tubb's kit on my 308 bolt gun it made cleaning a lot easier you can feel the difference. I would not use any fire lapping kit on a custom hand lapped barrel you cant beat a hand lapped custom barrel.
                                                                                                                           MGP
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember though, you don't lap a chromed barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Do we listen to FALARAK, who has thousands of posts and wrote the whole do it yourself gunsmithing guide, or we listen to JThomas with with 79 posts?  I think I know who I'm to believe...

Quoted:

Quoted:
Every decent barrel is lapped, either by machine or by hand.  Firelapping is just another way to smooth the bore.  If done properly it will work wonders on rough bores.  If done wrong, as with anything else, it will make a mess.

I have found the greatest gains using .22 lr firelapping cartridges.  I have used them on my CZ-452's and the accuracy increased by going from 1moa to under .5moa.

I have not done it with an AR yet, but my varmint barrel does not have the accuracy that I was hoping for so I will probably use it real soon.

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah because the number of times somebody has said something on the internet is a clear indication of thier knowledge on a subject....

Yeah okay there's the whole gunsmithing guide...but I can't help but chuckle a little though when somebody automatically listenes to high posters....
No offense FALARAK, I don't know either way, I just find the logic amusing....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do we listen to FALARAK, who has thousands of posts and wrote the whole do it yourself gunsmithing guide, or we listen to JThomas with with 79 posts?  I think I know who I'm to believe...

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Have you ever  heard of anyone with the last name Tubb?  Would he be credible enough for you?

LMFAO!

Hell no, dont listen to me!

Get your head out of the ground and get up on your hind legs and go do your own research.

I am working to get my post count up to improve my credibility.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok stop trolling my post please.  It is a chrome lined new barrel, he said it would be fine.  They are loaded at half velocity.  It was dark when I was done so I havent zeroed it yet.  Cleaning was easier though.  We'll see when I get the chance to zero it.  I'm moving this weekend so I will see after this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Ricecakes-

Would you mind posting contact info for the fire lapping kits?  I remember seeing them at the Big Reno Show and I wanted to try them out for myself, but I didn't buy them then and I haven't been able to find them anywhere else.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top