Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
Trying to decide on an upper for my first build. I'm getting a lot of input from my friends, who are either advocating the RRA or Stag.

I know RRA uses Wilson Barrels and Stag uses ER Shaw, the Shaw barrels have the turned down USGI profile under the handguards, so should be somewhat lighter, but  I don't know by how much.  On the other hand, the RRA comes available with the mid-length gas system, and I know I would appreciate the longer sight radius.

Decisions decisions.  Which way would you guys go?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Flip a coin and get on with it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Both
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
i'd go with a stag upper do to price, i think they are about even in all catagories eccept price, quality is the same. i have a CMT upper and i love it, supper tight fit. CMT makes all STAG'S uppers. CMT is PRICIER than STAG but u still get the same product cheaper and easier to find in stock than RRA.
I think RRA make a damn good product but are swamped in producton for gov. contracts and STAG is just as good and Cheaper.
I love the mid lenght sys. the cure buy a CMMG mid length gov. profile barrel a CMT or STAG rec. and do a good build.

usmc5593
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a RRA Entry Tactical and was advised it could be up to 8 weeks, but it only took about 4 weeks to get the order.  I am not sure that going with a lighter barrel is what I needed.  I like the profile of the RRA, it will take a lot of rounds to heat it up.  On the otherhand I understand your desire for a light weight barrel since I would'nt mind that too.  The great compromise, what to do?

You could concider looking at the bushmaster M4 with a light profile barrel?    hesehttp://www.44mag.com/products.asp?dept=1221
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:47:21 AM EDT
[#5]
for fit, finsh  and $$$ I have been going with RRA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:51:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i'd go with a stag upper do to price, i think they are about even in all catagories eccept price, quality is the same. i have a CMT upper and i love it, supper tight fit. CMT makes all STAG'S uppers. CMT is PRICIER than STAG but u still get the same product cheaper and easier to find in stock than RRA.

usmc5593

I don't think CMT  just makes Stag...CMT IS Stag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Go with a STAG, you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

usmc5593

I don't think CMT  just makes Stag...CMT IS Stag.

How about stag is CMT???
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The only thing that is against stag, is their funky deer on the side, if you can get past that, they are supposedly good products.  Myself....I like deer and all, but they don't really feel right on the side of an ar-15 (that isn't used to hunt deer with).  Then again, I'm kinda shallow when it comes to how guns look (but deep with it comes to their performance)

Uhm....that all didn't sound right.....I'm sorry...I appologize, really......I do......
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
IIRC Stag/CMT makes the uppers for RRA, so flip a coin
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys, I'll probably go with the RRA, as I expect it will shoot a bit better with the heavier barrel, and I really want the mid lenght upper.   If I start to decide it's too heavy, I'll just hump my M1 Garand for a few miles to remind me what a heavy rifle really feels like.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only thing that is against stag, is their funky deer on the side, if you can get past that, they are supposedly good products.  Myself....I like deer and all, but they don't really feel right on the side of an ar-15 (that isn't used to hunt deer with).  Then again, I'm kinda shallow when it comes to how guns look (but deep with it comes to their performance)

Uhm....that all didn't sound right.....I'm sorry...I appologize, really......I do......

Of course the upper doesn't have the deer head on it, just their lowers.  I would get the Stag upper myself.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#13]
A few things.  

1.  It will not be more accurate with a heavier barrel, it will simply be heavier.

2.  It will take longer to heat up, but will also retain heat longer, and take longer to cool down.

3.  CMT may make the upper for RRA, but it is only the upper receiver, not the barrel or complete assembly.

Get what you want, they are both decent products.  You may want to make sure that the RRA you are looking at comes with a chrome barrel, as it is optional.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#15]
My Stag upper has been simply superb. 100% and extremely accurate. And you just can Not beat Teknic's pricing.  A buddy of mine went RRA upper for a 9mm build and he has had extractor issues. I would go Stag again and again without  regret.    Harold H.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I am really pleased with the Stag upper I got from Teknic off the EE. Fit and finnish is every bit as good if not better than my shooting buddys Bushys and RRAs.

Gunner45
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top