Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2005 6:14:31 PM EDT
I have been reading way too much on the forums and would appreciate some opinions.  I have a stock Colt H-Bar (no threads on muzzle, just crowned).  I am wanting to make it a little more flexable and must maintain or improve on it's accuracy.  The following are some of the upgrades that I have been researching and would appreciate your opinions, good or bad.

Arms @40 Buis
LaRue free float rail system
Vortex muzzle device
Tango Down battle grip
Tango Down Vertical grip
LMT-SOPMOD buttstock
Optics ???  Need something that would be good from 10 yrds to 150 yrds.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I put together a 16" upper for my HBar Colt before I could afford a whole new rifle.  I used a 16" Bushmaster A3 upper with ARMS #40 ($100), an Aimpoint ($375), ARMS #22 mount ($100), a basic ff tube ($30) and a basic collapseable stock ($50).  Unless you want to hang a bunch of stuff off of your rifle, I would put the money in to an optic as opposed to an expensive ff tube.  I have never seen any evidence that the Vortex device does anything to improve accuracy, an A2 $5 flash hider works for me.  The grips and stuff are user preference.  I don't like vertical grips, but you might if you try one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
check out eotech the best collomiter sight out there and made in the U.S.A.   Also it dosent need a mount it is built in.  Are you using a flattop? Well if you are you can just slap on an Eotech and you are good to go. Most others will require some type of additional mount. SWFA has them as well as ADCO in the industry page.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Nothing on your list of 'improvements' will have any appreciable effect on accuracy. If you want the rifle to shoot better work on the trigger and barrel. If you want it to look better install all of the bells and whistles you desire. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Charles, is there a problem with the stock Colt H-Bar barrel ? With a decent set of optics, shouldn't it keep sub MOA groups?
I've been looking at putting a different trigger group in it but I have not found one that stands out from the rest, any recommendations ?
You guys are pointing me in the right direction and I do appreciate it, please keep it up.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Standard Colt barrels, such as the HBAR, can be quite accurate. With a good trigger, good ammo and a good shooter, the accuracy of the HBAR may surprise you. I have found that the 7 twist HBAR's really shoot well with the 68, 69, 75 and 77 grain ammo. Good handloads really help.

Good optics are also helpful but the optics will not replace good ammo. For instance, if you were to install a $1,000 scope and such 10 cent per round 55 grain ball surplus ammo your accuracy will probably not be very good. If you were to install a $200 scope and shoot premium Black Hills 68, 69, 75 or 77 grain ammo your accuracy will definitely be much better.

I always suggest that my clients try an upgrade to their stock triggers first, That upgrade can be surprisingly good and will often meet the needs of the average shooter striving for better accuracy.
E-mail with any questions. Take care. Charles.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing wrong with a Colt H-BAR, my first year of shooting high power i used a COLT H-BAR in a bushmaster rec.  I Went from marksman to expert with that barrel. I then switched to a KRIEGER barrel which helped me achieve my master classification. And yes a float tube WILL help the barrel achieve it's full potential.  It isolates the barrel from external stresses (ie sling pressure , bipod etc.)   My choices in triggers would be  (1) JEWELL $$  (2) ROCK RIVER ARMS. the RRA unit is an excellent trigger that wont break the bank. The stock trigger can be re-worked to make it much more usable if you want to save some money.   PATRIOT ARMORY CLASS 07 MANUFACTURER.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Arms #40 Buis
LaRue free float rail system
Vortex muzzle device
Tango Down battle grip
Tango Down Vertical grip
LMT-SOPMOD buttstock

Good choices! I'm using every one of the listed items on mine, with the exception of the Vortex:

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
M4Madness,

Very nice, just wondering if you have tried the EOTech and if so, why did you pick the Aimpoint???
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
M4Madness,

Very nice, just wondering if you have tried the EOTech and if so, why did you pick the Aimpoint???

Believe it or not, I've never used an EOTech. When I was researching for an optic purchase, I read many opinions here on Arfcom regarding the Aimpoint VS. EOTech. The majority of the posting members at the time liked the Aimpoint better. Many were members whose opinions were respected by myself, so I followed their advice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
M4Madness,
Sounds good to me as well.  Is there anything about your setup that you are unhappy with?  Looks like my dream rifle minus the can.  Don't thing my department would like that too much.  You know about politics in California......
Just wanted to say thanks again for your imput and stay safe and keep your powder dry...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice lookin gun, I like.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top