Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/7/2005 10:18:51 AM EDT
I just got my 3 DSA unfinished forged lowers. Does anyone know what would be a good place to start machinging these to give a good reference for the other operations?

John
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest the front pivot pin hole.  If you look at most of the schematics on the web, that is where everything is indexed off of.

If you search real good, there is a step by step walkthrough posted on the forums at the following address.

http://www.homegunsmith.com

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would suggest the front pivot pin hole.  If you look at most of the schematics on the web, that is where everything is indexed off of.

If you search real good, there is a step by step walkthrough posted on the forums at the following address.

http://www.homegunsmith.com

practicing making a hot link...

step by step walkthrough
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a round boss on the left side.  Center punch a dent in the dead center of this boss and measure the front pivot pen hole off this punch mark.  All other measurements are then done off the pivot pin hole.  Otherwise the pivot pin hole is just guessed at.  The pivot pin hole is up 0.563" and over 2.109" from the boss.  Good luck with this and let us know how you do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Go here:
http://www.ray-vin.com/frtech.htm
And click on "Machining the AR Lower"

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This Ray Vin chap does some of the best thechincal writing that I have ever seen and I have a Ph D in engineering.  Machining a lower using his instructions is a joy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for Ray-vin's write up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anyone ever done one of these by milling out the mag well pretty close then hand fitting with a file? I bought a few and figure that is how I'll do it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever done one of these by milling out the mag well pretty close then hand fitting with a file? I bought a few and figure that is how I'll do it.

Thats the way Im doing it. It is a good amount to remove by file but I have more time thaqn money and havent even bothered trying to find someplace to EDM the magwell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the way Im doing it. It is a good amount to remove by file but I have more time thaqn money and havent even bothered trying to find someplace to EDM the magwell.

Right on man! They are cheap enough, I figure on getting a few more just incase U.N. wants my other lowers, right? If you get a really coarse rasp type file I bet the material comes out pretty fast.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:08:46 AM EDT
[#10]
E.D.M. work can be very expensive. the shop i use thru my company charges about $35.00 per linear inch.  And as the material thickness increases the cost goes WAY up, you could be looking at spending  at least $300.00 and possibly more.  ( this is for wire E.D.M.)  Even if you have it done by  the conventional E.D.M.  method where a carbon electrode is used to ''burn'' out the magwell, you are still looking at spending a couple hundred dollars. The best way to go is to mill it  and get yourself a good file, or get a lower rec. with the mag well all ready finished.     Good luck, PATRIOT ARMORY 07 FFL.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top