Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2005 6:25:43 AM EDT
are scratches in the Chamber dangerous?

I was working on my "beater" AR15 made from old m16 parts and the barrel got stuck in the upper receiver. I tried tapping it out with a drift punch, but it slipped and scratched the inside of the chamber. At first it seemed pretty deep. I manly placed a round in the chamber and it stuck. I reassembled the rifle and just started cycling the same round over and over until it came out normally. The rifle cycles now but the round I used is covered with deep scratches.

Would the rifle be safe to fire?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe it would be dangerous but what you do have to worry about now is reliability.

You probably won't know until you get the rifle together and are testing it at the range. If it functions fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Always use brass punches wherever there is potential to screw something up
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That does not sound good. Might be time to start looking for a new barrel.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Be carefull chambering the same round over and over.

It might finally get tired of the firing pin hitting it and go off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont get it,  you were using a punch to get a barrel off? to get the scratches out use emry cloth  might get the sharp edge off em so it wond scratch the brass,  but when fired the brass will flow intho the scratch,  might have extraction trouble but prolly not.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
WECSOG rule #1. if it wont move, hit it with a hammer. if a hammer wont reach, grab something longer
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
WECSCOG Rule 1A:

If it jams, hit it with a hammer.

If it breaks, it needed replacing anyways............
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I fed a blank into the chamber about 20 times, now the scratches are hardly noticeable.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
wouldnt that increase chamber pressure?

probably nothing but i would have used the end of a broom stick.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
i was at my storage unit at the time, all i had was my tool box.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]
i took the rifle to the range yesterday on a cold afternoon. the first 2 rounds failed to extract but after the bbl warmed up it worked fine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top