Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 9:49:08 AM EDT
I am building a midlength AR15 and have been trying to decide if I should get a chrome moly barrel or a chrome lined barrel.  I know the accuracy in the chrome lined barrel is not as good, but my main concern is the heat generated in the barrel from shooting.  Does the chrome lining keep the barrel cooler or is there not a significant difference?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't there a F.A.Q. somewhere you should be reading?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
There's no significant difference in heat between chrome lined and chrome moly.  The chrome lining makes the barrel easier to clean and more corrosion resistant.  The accuracy difference is very minor if at all noticable.  

Ultimately, it will depend on what you plan to do with your rifle.  Defense or Marksmanship.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The chrome-lined barrel is gonna last longer. Almost twice as much life compared to a chrome-moly.

Ease of cleaning the chrome has already been mentioned.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top