Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2005 5:33:16 AM EDT
I was looking into future barrel choices and one I saw was the bushmaster dcm competition barrel in black finish with the fluting etc. I realize it is a pretty good barrel but to be honest, it looks are wat caught my attention. So, here is my question, why do they say it should be assembled by an experienced ar15 gunsmith? Whats different?
Thanks,
BTW, sorry for the many (some rediculous) posts today!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
At the TOP of this forum are all the instructions and list of tools you will need to make a barrel change.

Much like your mis-construement of verbage in your registered/un-registered lower thread, reading the TACKED threads will probably benefit your knowledge immensely.

They have suggested this work be done by a gunsmith because most folks do not have the tools required or the necessary skills to install the new barrel, (most DCM barrels are free-floated which is somewhat different than normal AR15s).

Reading what I have suggested will aleviate this problem for ya.

Mike

added: here's the link: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782 and some free advice......ALWAYS READ THE TACKED TOPICS AT THE TOP OF THE FORUMS, their placed there for your benefit.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your input. I have read the stuff on barrel changes/rifle assembly and it definately removed the mystery of the task. Besides the tools and basic knowledge, is there any other issues? I ask because they only suggest this on competition oriented barrels. Is this because, if you mess it up working with waterpump pliers it is a bigger financial hit? My presumtion is that I should be able to buy the barrel with a matching bolt, the freefloating handguards of my choice and with the proper tools bolt it together. Is it that simple? By using a matched bolt/barrel, headspacing should not be an issue? The only decision I see left is which gas block to go with.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
NO offense meant, but IF your intending on shooting a rifle in NRA sanctioned Highpower events, you've some more reading in store for ya.

The have rules and regs on rifle configurations, which, from your post above, would prevent the use of this rifle in sanctioned competetion, (not sure if this is your purpose).

Competetion rifles have a free-float "tube" underneath the actual rifle length handguards. As stated above removal of the float-tube under the handguards is specific to DCM/CMP rifles and the fact that like you, some folks jump too far to fast and fail to do the proper research.

Improper installtion of this barrel your referring to would result in lousy groups, something no competetor wants (a rifle that don't shoot straight).

My advice for you is slow down, more reading, less posting. Things will be clearer to ya then,

Mike

added: BTW, Welcome aboard , your in the right place to to learn about firearms and AR15s in particular,
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#4]
No offense taken. One point you had just brought up that I had not thought of was configuration with respect to competition use. As I really have no intention of competing, it may be in my best interest to research the regulations so that I may if I ever want to. I would also suspect the resale would be higher. I am basically concerned with "A", spending too much on the wrong stuff and "B" having a rifle that is a piece of crap. OFF TO READ!Thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top