Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2005 2:04:15 PM EDT
Or can I just use a standard adjustable wrench from Sears/Walmart etc.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the right tool for the job. You run the risk of doing more damage and costing yourself more than 40 bux in the long run if you take shortcuts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy the right tool for the job. You run the risk of doing more damage and costing yourself more than 40 bux in the long run if you take shortcuts.

+1

The right tools make all the difference in the world. Spend the money and do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a barrel nut that looks like shit because i tried to poor boy it.
the wrench is one tool you need to pony up and buy.
you don't have to get the 40.00 one.

bushmaster 29.99
plus 5.95 will get you almost the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Sportsman's Guide has the armoror's tool for $30. Also for $50 Essential Arms has an Armoror's toolkit which includes Barrel Jaws, a barrel wrench, a front sight adjustment tool, a field headspace gauge, and a spanner wrench. I'm probably going to order one soon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get one at the local Army surplus store for probably $10.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have this one...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976487059.htm

and it is great.  I picked it up at a gun show for $20.  It will do barrels, tele-stocks and flash suppressors.  It is inexpensive, does the job, and serves multiple purposes.  It's the one I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Naw, a pair of these 'ought to do it.

Or possibly even these if your hand is weak.

This guy told me it was OK------->

Get the right tools for the job, you won't be sorry you did.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
If you plan on doing barrels, get the one with the teeth, not the pins......
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you plan on doing barrels, get the one with the teeth, not the pins......

Good advice.  You may get lucky once or twice without the proper tool, many do, but eventually, it will catch up with you and cause a more expensive repair than the initial cost of the proper tool.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
are you gonig to be using it to remove/install a barrel?

if so then i would get the proper tools as everyone else has stated.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]
ahhhh that's like the sight tool for installing night sights that price is insane to only use once.
1 for the Sig +1 for the Glock= big waste of money.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Naw, a pair of these 'ought to do it.

www.matadorcoupe.com/seebee65/channel_lock.jpg

Or possibly even these if your hand is weak.

mc.clintock.com/basement/tool_area/ICON-images/vice-grips.jpg
LMAO!Really though.Don't half-ass it.You'll be glad later you dropped a little cash and got the job done right.

This guy told me it was OK------->www.allmoviereplicas.com/store/files/images/small/t_61.gif

Get the right tools for the job, you won't be sorry you did.

WIZZO

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

are the surplus ones really any good? It seems with those 3 litttle pins for teeth it might damage the barrel nut easily
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are the surplus ones really any good? It seems with those 3 litttle pins for teeth it might damage the barrel nut easily

They suck and have damaged more than their fair share of barrel nut teeth.  I use the DPMS multi tool because of its contact area.  I have yet to damage a barrel nut with it.  I've done more than a few uppers with it, also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, what Mongo said... I have the DPMS wrench too, and it works flawlessly on both delta ring barrel nuts and free float tube nuts, as long as you use the proper procedures, such as making sure your wrench is fully engaged with the nut BEFORE reefing on it!

Most of the other stuff can be done with a good adjustable wrench, or even better, an open end wrench of the correct size, but don't skimp on the barrel nuts.  The dpms tool also has an excellent CAR stock wrench built into it.

Likewise, DO NOT attempt barrel swaps without vise blocks to hold your upper receiver!!  M1s sells a combo vise block/lower receiver fixture for ~$45.  Money well spent even if you are just doing one build or swap.  I use mine all the time for tinkering...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top