Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 10:56:25 AM EDT
I know this is a loaded question, like asking if Ford or Chevy is better... but I'd like to see what you hot shots think about the various makes of lower assemblies and what makes them so great.

So, if you would: Who makes the best stripped lower assembly and why? Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a big RRA fan
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The most recent DPMS are very good also, very much improved from those made a year or two ago.  The four I bought are actually a little nicer looking an have better fit than the Stag a friend just picked up from Aim.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
RRA and CMT
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know this is a loaded question, like asking if Ford or Chevy is better... but I'd like to see what you hot shots think about the various makes of lower assemblies and what makes them so great.

So, if you would: Who makes the best stripped lower assembly and why? Thanks!

Based strictly on anecdotal evidence, as long as you avoid Hesse/Vulcan and early DPMS and Olympic cast receivers I am not really sure there is a big difference.  I've had good luck with an EA cast receiver, and of the forged receivers, I've really heard surprisingly few problems with any brand, especially non-solvable-by-fitting problems.  Its not really too surprising when you consider that the number of actual makers versus the number of brand names they are sold under.  A lot of them are really basically the same except roll marks. Not many of the problems you hear about around here can be blamed on the lower if it is a new item.  So in those cases it is really more of a "Chevy vs Pontiac" or "Ford vs Mercury" sort of difference, which is even less measurable.

All that said, pick the one you can get the best deal on, and the one which has the finish that best matches the upper you are going to use if possible.  Other than that, I'm not sure you can really go wrong with any of the popular brands.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Stag/CMT the best.

Great Price
Great Quality
Great Fit and Finish.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW - if it's stripped, it's not an assembly (it's a machined, anodized forging or casting).

BTW, welcome to the club!! All of your present and future discretionary income is now earmarked! Don't tell your wife!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
RRA or stag
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA or stag
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I am partial to Mega.  The fit is perfect even with different brand uppers, not too tight, not too loose.  Compared to a friends DPMS both appear to be teflon coated to a very consistent finish.  The Mega seemes to display a better attention to detail in the final machine work.  There is absolutely no sign of forging marks or flashing and all the radiuses were clean and free of tool marks.  Where as the DPMS displayed some slight tooling and forging marks.  Both are high quality lowers.  What is impressive is that some of these smaller vendors are turning out quality products that would shame some of the bigger names and for half the price.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top