Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 7:20:28 AM EDT
I've got a colt HBAR lower with a rifle length buffer tube that I'd like to swap out for a magpul carbine buffer and stock.

Can't seem to get the dang rifle buffer tube off!

Is there a special tool or some trick to it?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Try heating the area with a blow dryer first.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is there a special tool or some trick to it?

A crescent wrench, counter clock wise*.

If you only have a digital clock, counter click wise is linky
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Also the buffer retaining pin might be jamming your threads.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a vise or a blowdryer.
I was trying to turn counter clockwise (I had to find a clock to make sure!)

I took a bunch of pictures as someone requested in IM to take a look see. If my AR were a person she's be very embarassed at everyone staring at her bare behind http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/jinva/arcastlenut003.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/jinva/arcastlenut002.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats no AR.

Edit: Take out the buffer and spring.  Maybe try putting it in the freezer. Or spray some type of penetration anti-seize.  The receiver extension should not be tightened too much, unless whoever put it together was wacked.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#7]
putting reciever in freezer for an hour + sitting on receiver (with towels padding it) + whacking wrench with hammer = SUCCESS

thanks folks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the same boat and was going to post, good thing I checked first! I do have a vice and tried using a strap wrench. No dice.

Which is more likely to help. Blow dryer or freezer? I'm guessing there's some blue loctite in there.....

Anyone?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's blue locktite, heat it up to break the bond.

Strap wrench? There are wrench flats on the end of the buffer tube you know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If it's blue locktite, heat it up to break the bond.

Strap wrench? There are wrench flats on the end of the buffer tube you know.

I have a strap wrench handy.......

I'll try the heat.

Thanks (wise ass!)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
The look of success:

Low round count, and very tight. At least it was before I started foolin with it!
Upper is Stag.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
shouldn't ben ay LocTite, COLT's are tighter due to the finer thread fit than that found on knockoffs.

Clamp the wrench flats of the LRE into the vise jaws and twist using the pistol grip.

CA2VAyay,

How many rounds through your rifle?

It's a Fulton Armory lower. Clint uses a few drops of Blue just to be sure.

The freezer method worked! 25 minutes in the freezer, firmly wedged in the ole' armpit and then a twist of the wrench on the flats and POP went the buff-errrr!  

CA2VAyay you magnificent bastard! Thanks! ...and thanks to the rest as well for the suggestions...even you thezman (wiseass!!!)  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That little part on the bottom of the tube that is flat is made for an ajustable wrinch. Are you guys doing anything else to your weapons right now?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That little part on the bottom of the tube that is flat is made for an ajustable wrinch. Are you guys doing anything else to your weapons right now?

Thanks Koga. That part wasn't my problem.....the loctite was! But thanks anyway. Right now I'm just waiting for Mr. UPS man to drop off my stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

...and thanks to the rest as well for the suggestions...even you thezman (wiseass!!!)  

Glad you had success. I was only trying to help.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top