Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 8:56:59 PM EDT
Just wondering how involved this process is
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
As a noob let me answer your question.

I have never been around the ar15 system, yet when I decided recently to finally get one i did not have the financing to buy a complete nor a complete upper or lower. So I decided to build part by part

I have a lower with the parts installed, a complete bolt and charging handle installed, upper receiver with parts installed. Im about to put on the CAR stock and the barrel will be last.

I didnt even use proper tools and still did it with no marks or mars on the receivers. Its easy and WAY cheaper as long as you shop for great prices.

Do it......do it...............do it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just wondering how involved this process is

Its about as difficult as a snap together model.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
if you can make chocolate milk you can make an AR15
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought an xm 15 Bushy for 800.

I built a better rifle for 510.00 off the EE, and I only bought the 30$ wrench.

Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....Built it....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Would you all recommend the Ultimate AR builder DVD to a noob builder?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen the DVD.   I did my first build sitting in front of my computer reading the instructions on this site.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've never seen the DVD.   I did my first build sitting in front of my computer reading the instructions on this site.  

Ya ya Oscar Meyer even

All the instructions are thumbtacked at the top of this forum "Build It Yourself"
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of all my rifles that I have worked on (built or modified), the AR-15 is by far the easiest.  It's amazing how all the parts come together even if you're pulling from a number of sources.  Order of difficulty I've found so far: AR-15 <- M1 Garand <- AK <- FN FAL (and the gas tube is still stuck).
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:07:04 AM EDT
[#9]
How expensive are the tools required to build AR's?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
As a noob-tard I can say that building a lower only requires the mental capacity of a squashed apricot.  I know, I just built one.  h.gif

I haven't gotten around to putting my own upper together yet, but it is only a matter of time.  BRD is insidious...

Tom
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#11]
As you can see from my post count I'm also a total newbie.  Never owned an AR before.  Shopped around, bought a stripped RRA lower at a local gun show.  Picked up the rest from the Equipment Exchange here, put together an all-RRA gun with a 16" flat-top upper for $600.  I'm really impressed with the quality.

I put the lower together like the previous poster, using the tagged post describing how to do it.  I had to flip back and forth between the sections a few times to clear up questions, but it took me maybe 45 minutes to do.  A lot of the time was trying to figure out what was wrong with the safety selector detent, simply because it was very, very, stiff the first few times it was moved, but then it started working just fine.

It's really very easy, just follow the directions, take your time.  In the worst case scenario if it goes together wrong it won't work and you can take it apart and do it again, but that's not likely to be necessary if you use care the first time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How expensive are the tools required to build AR's?

You will need a roll pin punch, or broken philips screwdriver.

Hammer

and if your putting together an upper from parts, you'll need a receiver block and a barrel wrench.

DPMS sells the best tools I think.

Brownells carries them too.

www.brownells.com

roll pin punches are like 15 bucks for a set
action block is 30 i think
barrel wrench is 30 too

Dont quote me
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I put my first one together recently and I agree with the previous posters.  It is very easy.  I would suggest getting the proper tools as this makes it even easier. The upper and lower reciever blocks can be had for about $35/set. The barrel wrench for another $30.  I also got a castle nut wrench for about $15.  This all adds to the cost but I for one can never have enough tools and of course it means my third AR is that much closer.  

Seydou
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#14]
So, no drill presses or things like that are involved then?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So, no drill presses or things like that are involved then?

Check out the building instructions on the site. There you will see how easy it truly is. Print them off and use them as a guide during your first build. I did that and it was truly like putting together a childs plastic model. Don't forget quick release masking tape for those "could scratch receiver" parts of the build.

Don't be nervous, it is SOO easy!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope.

Just a vice, action blocks (upper is mandatory for barreling, the lower block is optional in my opinion), action wrench, possibly a stock wrench, and a 1/16" punch.

My total cost was;
Upper action block: $35
DPMS action wrench: $33
M4 stock wrench:$5
Craftsman 1/16" standard punch: $1

$74 total.

Now I can build whatever I want

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Dude...a chimp could build one. You ever build anything out of Legos? If yes, you're qualified.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
How difficult is it to do an upper?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How difficult is it to do an upper?

not as difficult as you might think.

Start with one thats already put together, after you've taken it apart your OJT is complete.

There is no difficult parts to install, if anything "removing" Front site base pins are by far the hardest part of the whole process.  But since your building...I dont see that being a problem for you

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
What would you suggest for a first build project?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are capable of feeding yourself........then you can put together an AR.  It's just that simple.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What would you suggest for a first build project?

First build one for me, then I'll let you know how well you did

Whatever suits your needs.  You want a car-bean...BAM! build a carbine.  You want a long range rig....Boom! build a LR  Sky's the limit.  They are all the same difficulty level.....1

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The funny thing is im 16 and i built my first one a few months ago. When people tell me where I got it I tell them I build them. That sounds scary... Where did you get that gun..? I built it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
if you can make chocolate milk you can make an AR15

I gotta remember that haha
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=252749

This is the suggestion (WITH PICS!!) that I gave to someone else asking the same sorts of questions.

G'luck in yer struggles!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#26]
It's easy, the instructions are all on this website

You may want to look into getting a few specialized tools, like punchs, armorer's wrenches, but I built my baby with mostly common tools from my car hobby and around the house. Didn't have a punch, so i used a vise grip and drill bits to punch the two roll pins in.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Compaired to these damn built in shelves I have been working on for the past 2 days . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . a 1 out of 10!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
As you can see from my post count I'm also a total POST WHORE.  Never owned an AR before.  Shopped around, bought a stripped RRA lower at a local gun show.  Picked up the rest from the Equipment Exchange here, put together an all-RRA gun with a 16" flat-top upper for $600.  I'm really impressed with the quality.

I put the lower together like the previous poster, using the tagged post describing how to do it.  I had to flip back and forth between the sections a few times to clear up questions, but it took me maybe 45 minutes to do.  A lot of the time was trying to figure out what was wrong with the safety selector detent, simply because it was very, very, stiff the first few times it was moved, but then it started working just fine.

It's really very easy, just follow the directions, take your time.  In the worst case scenario if it goes together wrong it won't work and you can take it apart and do it again, but that's not likely to be necessary if you use care the first time.

LOL! Had to do it.
I will be building my first AR in about 3 weeks. I work in Kuwait and already have all the parts waiting for me back home. I have bits and pieces from about 6 different vendors and plan on doing a step by step photo type thingy to post here on arfcom for all to see. One benefit I do have is that I will also be getting the help of an experienced AR builder and fellow arfcommer. As soon as everything is done I'll post it for everyone to see.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#29]
A semi-trained primate could assemble an AR.  There are no headspace issues to worry which is usually a big thing with other builds.  ARs are the erector sets of the firearms industry.  With the right tools and a little instruction, it's not hard.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top