Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:04:49 PM EDT
If you have a good chunk of money set aside to build a precision AR what components would you use? I am not talking about a 3/4" gun - I am wanting a 1/4" gun. Like I said money is not in the way - just pure quality parts! It will have optics on it so not need for irons.

Barrel:
Bolt:
upper:
lower:
LPK:
match trigger:
forearm:

Any sugestions??

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo do you plan to use, and what ranges are you talking about?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Regardless of what you go with, you might want to reload your own ammo as well to mate it to your rifle.  This will probably also involve seating bullets long so that the rifle will be a single shot.

I'd look at the Kriger Varmatch barrels and free float it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Range is out to 600yds, I will be hand loading, but it must function as a semi-auto - so no COL longer than spec for a 223. Of course it will be free floated probably a PRI carbon or BO handguard setup, maybe LaRue or ARMS....sugestions? This setup is for a longrange tactical precision match that I hold at my local club. my AR10T is too heavy and I want to try something quicker than my bolt gun.

Back to the basics... Bolt and Barrel is what will make the rifle shoot - Broughton's 5C barrels have really impressed me on bolt guns and I know J. Joplin is using them on his new custom ARs. Anyone have any experiance with them? What about the JP barrels?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I'd go with:

Barrel: Broughton 5C barrel which is my personal preference though any top barrel, like Krieger, will do.
Bolt: I personally don't have a problem with a GI spec bolt but chrome looks nice and is easier to clean.
Upper and Lower: I prefer Rock River uppers and lowers as they have always been nice and tight for me.
LPK: Any good quality kit from RRA, DPMS, Bushmaster,etc.
Trigger: I'd prefer a KAC 2 stage if you can get one followed by a Chip McCormack 2 stage.
Forearm: Daniel Defense or LaRue, which is my preference as I like the FF Picatinny handgaurds.

Other things to consider:

-Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff sling-can't be beat for a precision rifle
-Uncle Mikes H.D. sling swivels-the parkerized ones, they're built like a tank
-Midwest Industries Picatinny sling stud- I like this one as it seems made for sling mounting and isn't as overly large as others, which seem made for mounting a bipod.
-Harris "S" bipod
-Pod Loc

I have a Mk12 Mo0 SPR with a Broughton 5C barrel George Gardner and crew installed at G.A. Precision and it is a consistent sub 1/2MOA rifle with a lot of groups in the 1/4MOA area.
I've been using 77grn Nosler's w/ Winchester brass, CCI BR primers, 24.5grns of Varget with great effect. Get an OAL length gauge and bullet comparator from Stoney Point or Sinclair. I do my handloads .005" off the lands and this will help you more effectively measure the distance.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top