Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 7:56:47 AM EDT
I need a suggestion for a trigger for a defensive carbine.  Right now, my M4 uses a standard military trigger.  Reliable yes, but horrible for accuracy.  Yes, I can keep it in 3" at 100, and I know it's only a 14.5" barrel, but I know I (and it) can do better.  I want to start with a better trigger pull, but I don't want a match trigger with any adjustments that can fail.  So what I want is a crisp, single stage trigger with combat reliability.  I've heard about RRA's, but it's two stage, and I think I'd prefer a single.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard.  Maybe with the 15 min tuning job, but stick with standard.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Care to direct me towards the 15 min tuning job?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Here :http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I recommend you stick with the stock trigger and spend the extra $$$ on practice ammo - it will smooth up with use anyway. One of the main strengths of the stock trigger is that it makes ADs less likely... even if you part depress the trigger, releasing it will allow it to relax back to the original position rather than becoming a "hair trigger" like a match single-stage could.

As for the 15 minute trugger job, bear in mind that it involves weakening a spring, with consequent questions over reliability. Waiting for all the 15 minute trigger guys to come and tell us all how they have "fired 10 million rounds of Wolf without a failure of their trigger job"
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to try the CMC. So far it looks promising. The stock one has become a serious limiting factor for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Chip McCormick 2 stage trigger in my bench AR, and while it's not the best two stage I've ever felt, it is really very good.  I was thinking about a one stage, but I've also heard good things about RRA's 2-stage, and LMT's as well (although the two look identical, yet there is a $50 price difference in RRA's favor).

I definitly agree about the 15-min job.  If I am going to keep a mil trigger, then i'm not going to bend/cut springs.  It makes me uncomfortable making alterations where not intended.  Going that route, I might as well drop in a new trigger kit.  But again, there are my reliability concerns...  Maybe I should stop trying to reduce my groups and keep my eye on the ball.  It's is a defensive carbine, not a tack driver.  Reliability is key.

Still trying to decide.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#7]
check out jprifles.com there may be something there.look under rifle parts,triggers and checkout the whole page
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am going to try the CMC. So far it looks promising. The stock one has become a serious limiting factor for me.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until you have tried a snapshot with my rifle and felt the reset, you should STFU. I know what good rifle triggers feel like and what I can do with them. 7-8#'s, lots of creep and a LONG reset make it difficult to shoot accurately and quickly, and slow my splits on hammers significantly--or force me to slap the trigger.

Say what you will about my mindset or opinions on certain matters, but you have never seen me shoot and have no place to comment.

I share your concerns about aftermarket triggers. I wouldn't put one in the carbine that I keep for defensive uses until I shot the piss out of one without issues. Thats why I still put up with the abortion of a trigger I have now. So what if it is solidly in the mil-spec for trigger pulls?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until you have tried a snapshot with my rifle and felt the reset, you should STFU. I know what good rifle triggers feel like and what I can do with them. 7-8#'s, lots of creep and a LONG reset make it difficult to shoot accurately and quickly, and slow my splits on hammers significantly--or force me to slap the trigger.

Say what you will about my mindset or opinions on certain matters, but you have never seen me shoot and have no place to comment.

I share your concerns about aftermarket triggers. I wouldn't put one in the carbine that I keep for defensive uses until I shot the piss out of one without issues. Thats why I still put up with the abortion of a trigger I have now. So what if it is solidly in the mil-spec for trigger pulls?

You miss the point completely, which is even more comical.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Until you have tried a snapshot with my rifle and felt the reset, you should STFU. blah blah blah...

You miss the point completely, which is even more comical.

No offense to you Stickman, cuz you're obviously in the right here. But can't there be one single thread on arfcom that doesn't devolve into a pissing contest, or name calling, or arguing, or personal attacks?

Some guy on some other job is Mr. Purple. Pretty soon, you've got four guys in the corner arguing about who's going to be Mr. Black. And nobody knows anybody, so nobody wants to back down.

[/rant]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top