Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
Would AntiSieze Compound be ok to use on the barrel threads. Use it on muffler bolts all the time so just wondering.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No, Antiseize is actually not good for it.
The recommended product is Moly Grease (No graphite)
However any good high temp grease would suffice.
Stay away from graphite grease as it may contribute to galvanic corrosion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the flash suppressor threads? If so, you can use anti-seize with no detrimental effects -- it's steel on steel.

I can go one further though and say that in armorer's school, we were taught to use Permatex anti-seize on the BARREL NUTS as well (which is steel on aluminum). I can only assume that the amount of graphite in the anti-seize must be so minuscule that galvanic corrosion is a moot point.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
graphite is only bad for aluminum and your barrel is steel
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
This is what I am wondering. At work I use AntiSieze on muffler bolts. Steel bolt in an aluminum head and have not sen any type of corrision happen when I have worked on them on down the road.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I use nickel based antiseize.it is rated for 2400 degrees.but I would only use any of it on steel.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top