Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 7:16:11 PM EDT
Well, I wavered back and forth on weather or not to try and attempt this or not. Head how all FSB's have their pins in a different location and that it wasn't really doable to replace it with a bayo lug FSB. I didn't really want to put a rail block on it as it is an A2 upper and the removable front sight wasn't really something that would be useful. Then one day while browsing the EE I found a guy here local that had a no ban FSB that was removed from his barrel to install a flip up sight. Anyway, a lunchtime meeting and $20.00 later I had a project on my hands.
My post ban FSB came of with little issue, the pinned muzzle brake had been removed by myself a few weeks earlier and replaced with an A2 flash hidder. Knocked out the pins from the FSB and gas tube and it slid off with little resistance. Now as expected the holes from the original FSB and new/old replacement did not line up. They were fairly close though. About 15 minutes of dremmel work on the notches originally cut into the barrel when it was drilled was needed to align the holes on the new FSB and the barrel. If your going to try this, remember, less is more. Remove a little material and check it, as many times as it takes. Just don't go hog wild, or else there will be nothing for the new pins to hold against. I also decided to use standard 1/8" roll pins instead of the standard tapper pins. They allowed for a minimal variation from FSB to barrel but still hold extreamly solid. It's not going to move. They don't look out of place either, after all just about everything else on the rifle is secured with rollpins. It lined up straight as an arrow and as solid as the original.

Front Sight Base bought from AR15.com EE             -  $20.00
Package of 1/8" roll pins from Lowe's                      -  $ 1.05
An hours worth of work out in the garage                -    FREE

Removing all reminders of an AWB from you AR-15 - PRICELESS!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.  

I hate to sound like a skeptic, but you're sure it will stay put with abuse?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Good work! It always feels good when things go right! Now go out and shoot it! I am sure it will hold up well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it straight?  No excessive windage adjustment?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looks good.  

I hate to sound like a skeptic, but you're sure it will stay put with abuse?

It's on there pretty solid. I didn't smack it with a hammer or anything, but I did twist on it and I don't see that it is going to move. Only time will tell.

Quoted:
Is it straight?  No excessive windage adjustment?

Straight as an arrow. Used a laser puley alignment tool to set it up. Stright from the rear sight through the carry handle down the barrel to the tip of the front sight.

-FGC-
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top