Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 5:21:49 AM EDT
I recently bought a Magpul 93B stock.  Finally got the time to sit down between work and school to install it on my carbine.  After I installed it, keep in mind this is my first experience with AR's, I noticed that I couldn't pull the charging handle back more than an inch.  Stupid me forgot to buy a carbine buffer as well.  So here I am asking what is a good carbine buffer to go for as well as where can I pick it up?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Got mine at Magpul. Don't forget the spring also.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA 9mm heavy buffer if it has a carbine gas system.

I got mine from ADCO for $27.50 shipped.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
How do I know if it has a carbine gas system?  Being the first AR I've handled I'm a little in the dark.  I would assume if the FSB is close up and the MI 17X carbine hand guards fit it would be a carbine.  Does it make a difference that there was a rifle length buffer in my gun vs. a carbine.  I figured if the rifle length buffer is too big for a magpul stock I could just add a carbine buffer.  As well, I need a new spring to from what it sounds like?  Also, the 9mm buffer, is that the size of the buffer itself or is that in regards to using a 9mm upper assembly?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do I know if it has a carbine gas system?
Approx 7.5" from front of upper to rear of sight base (approx handguard length)

Being the first AR I've handled I'm a little in the dark.  I would assume if the FSB is close up and the MI 17X carbine hand guards fit it would be a carbine.

Does it make a difference that there was a rifle length buffer in my gun vs. a carbine.
Buffer tube length is what determines which buffer you will use

I figured if the rifle length buffer is too big for a magpul stock I could just add a carbine buffer.  As well, I need a new spring to from what it sounds like?
Is the depth of the tube 10" (rifle) or around  7" (CAR)... (could not locate my CAR tube readily..)

Also, the 9mm buffer, is that the size of the buffer itself or is that in regards to using a 9mm upper assembly?
General name given to the 5.4 - 5.6oz CAR style buffer designed for use initially in the 9mm  SMG (COLT used collapse stocks on the SMG)...

Gas system is not a factor to buffer selection......  It is the buffer tube length that determines which "STYLE" buffer you will use...  

IF you have a rifle length tube,  you will use a rifle length buffer. I have a rifle buffer that weighs 7.04oz, I dumped the guts and installed a machined brass dowel, as I shoot 9mm suppressed, the added weight holds the bolt closed slight bit longer,  thus slowing the crap from the ejection port to my face.

If you have the shorter "CAR" length tube.... you will use a "CAR" style buffer.

Rifle buffer comes in (1) weight,  it is 5.1oz  avg.

CAR style buffer coms in many weights, I prefer to keep the weight similat to that of the rifle as a start, That would be what is commonly known to as the "9mm" buffer @ 5.4 - 5.6oz.

Here is a CAR gas system using a rifle stock...

How about a "pistol length gas system and rifle stock..

How about a 9mm with the 7.04oz rifle busffer..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Since you went from a longer rifle stock to a shorter collapsing (also known as a CAR) stock to will need to get a new shorter (CAR buffer) and CAR buffer spring.

There are several different CAR buffers if your are only shooting 223/5.56 ammo then a standard buffer will do.  A CAR buffer looks like this:

A far bit shorter version than your long rifle buffer for an A2 stock.

Now on to the different buffers. Basically there is a standard buffer, which is for semi-auto 223/5.56 ammo.  Then their is a heavy buffer which is heavier than the standard CAR buffer but the same length also known as an H1 buffer.  Then there is an H2 CAR buffer which is slightly heavier than the H1. These are for Full auto M16 and since they weigh more they will slow down the rate of fire in FA.  For a Semi-auto Ar-15 they take a bit of the recoil out because of the extra mass of the H1/H2 buffer and don't let the buffer bottom out in the Car tube with hot loaded ammo.  Then their is a 9mm buffer which is a fair bit heavier than the H1/H2 and is designed for a blow back (not gas operated) 9mm chambered uppers. Personally I wouldn't use this buffer because I think it's too heavy for the light recoil of the 223/5.56 round and may short stroke the bolt thus not fully ejecting the spent 223 case or cause the bolt to short stroke and not travel far enough back to pick up the next round in the magazine.

Delton has a standard car buffer for $8.50 and a Car spring for $3.50 which should get you back in business.

The usual places like ADCO  can also get you a Heavy (H) buffer for a bit more money some thing like $13.  Do a search on their page for an "H Buffer".

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info.  I feel quite enlightened now as to what I need.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 Then their is a 9mm buffer which is a fair bit heavier than the H1/H2 and is designed for a blow back (not gas operated) 9mm chambered uppers. Personally I wouldn't use this buffer because I think it's too heavy for the light recoil of the 223/5.56 round and may short stroke the bolt thus not fully ejecting the spent 223 case or cause the bolt to short stroke and not travel far enough back to pick up the next round in the magazine.

Hmmm,  gonna have to disagree with you on that comment..  9mm buffer at 5.5oz too heavy?   Why does my rifle cycle normally in 223/556 with a 7.04oz buffer (as weighed on digital shipping scale) ?

ArmdCtzn test drove it in his M16 (std rifle stock) with a 11.5" upper, ran fine there also (fill-auto)
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmmm,  gonna have to disagree with you on that comment..  9mm buffer at 5.5oz too heavy?   Why does my rifle cycle normally in 223/556 with a 7.04oz buffer (as weighed on digital shipping scale) ?

Hey if it works reliably then I'd say use it, if it FTF then I'd say not in my rifle.  

Another point is why carry around the extra weight?  If the rifle is going to be used in the field hoofing around, the lightest most reliable rig wins in my book.  While a few ounces isn't going to break your back the saved weight could be used to carry an extra couple rounds of ammo.

At any rate here's is some weight measurements I found in another post:

Approximate weights:

9mm/tungsten CAR buffer 5.5 oz.
Rifle buffer 5.2 oz.
H2 buffer is 4.6 oz.
H buffer is 3.8 oz.
Standard CAR 2.9 oz.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you tell if you need a lighter or heavier buffer/spring by how far and direction the brass eject? Mine ejects around 9 fts at 4 oclock direction. I think mine is pretty smooth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're ejecting at 3, 4, or 5 o'clock, your operating system isn't beating itself to death.

If you're ejecting in front of you, the rifle is operating a little fast and might be in need of a heavier bufer to slow the carrier down.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#11]
What's a good place to buy the carbine buffer and spring?  I think I might go with the 9mm buffer.  I've read the other post and have heard good things to say about it.  Thanks for the previous responses.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Topic shift.  Can you have too heavy a buffer?  (like maybe with a rifle length gas system)   I have a midlength gas system with carbine tube/spring/H buffer,  works fine. I was just wondering.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you're ejecting at 3, 4, or 5 o'clock, your operating system isn't beating itself to death.

If you're ejecting in front of you, the rifle is operating a little fast and might be in need of a heavier bufer to slow the carrier down.

WIZZO

My carbine ejects at about 2 o'clock with a 9MM buffer...oh wait, maybe it is the Wolff ejector spring.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Topic shift.  Can you have too heavy a buffer?  (like maybe with a rifle length gas system)   I have a midlength gas system with carbine tube/spring/H buffer,  works fine. I was just wondering.  

Possibly... here why I say this..

I have a M11-9 SNG set up for slowfire.  The bolt weighs the same as the std Colt pattern 9mm bolt @ 16oz... I run a 12oz buffer in it to slow it down... this is an open bolt gun also, nothing to over come other than the weight of the buffer....

I put the 12oz buffer in my 9mm SBR.... very sluggish,  BANG............chunk.......   I think the hammer and hammer spring tension were the final straw that broke the camel back as they say.  Did not try it with 223/556, was out of state, only took the 9mm upper for AR and the SMG to play with.

The 12oz buffer --
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just went ahead and ordered a plain ol' H buffer and spring from Magpul.  I figure I can upgrade later.  I just want something so I can shoot NOW.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top