Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
How do i install a fake aluminum silencer to my threaded barrel
the fake silencer is threaded aluminum and i cant find a solder to join the two together
and it has to have a melting point of 1100 degrees  

Thanks MGP

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
why do you want to permanently attach it?  do you have a barrel shorter than 16"?  Silver Solder is the only acceptable soldering method.  You need to use a MAPP torch and get the steel red hot, or at least you do when installing Flash Supressors like the Phantoms.  I'm not sure you want to do that with aluminum though...

What exactly are you up to?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes barrel is 9.5'' and i have a 7 5/8'' inch fake silencer
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You cannot silver solder, weld or braze  alum. to steel ,you will have to blind pin  the '' suppressor'' to the barrel. Use a 3/32 dia. or 1/8 dia. dowel pin or some drill rod. Make the length of the pin  short enough so that when its  driven into (NOT THRU) the barrel it is about  1/8 in. below the surface of the '' suppressor''.  then you can have somebody that can weld alum.  fill in the hole. File the weld smooth& re finish and your done.  If you do it right you wont even know it was  welded. hope this helps    PATRIOT ARMORY.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
got pictures of what you are up to?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]
i will never understand this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
why on earth would you simply not use a longer barrel?

The fake silencer isn't going to do anything but hurt ballistics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#8]
and ruin his barrel...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i will never understand this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why on earth would you simply not use a longer barrel?

The fake silencer isn't going to do anything but hurt ballistics.

Just for the looks and i do not think im going to hurt ballistics on a 9mm Thanks MGP
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah, you will if you are going from a 16" carbine barrel to an 8" barrel or similar...

shortening the barrel will hurt ballistics.  

What size barrel are you doing this on anyway?  I promise I will be nice and helpful...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah, you will if you are going from a 16" carbine barrel to an 8" barrel or similar...

shortening the barrel will hurt ballistics.  

What size barrel are you doing this on anyway?  I promise I will be nice and helpful...

9.5 inch and im not going to worry about ballistics on my 9mm im not shooting this 9mm at 100 yards.
For the distance im shooting at it will and did not hurt accuracy. MGP
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The one plan that was mentioned using a blind pin method is the best.  Don't let anyone get you down.  I would personally rather have a 11.5 inch barrel with the permanant 5.5 FH than a 16 inch barrel when dealing with the 9mm.  It looks really good with the A1 sights too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Guys for all your help

MGP
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
9.5 inch and im not going to worry about ballistics on my 9mm im not shooting this 9mm at 100 yards.
MGP

Hmmmm...

9.5" long barrel huh?
Muzzle thread length is usually 5/8"
So you really have 8 7/8" to the shoulder that the fake suppresor will tighten against before it is permanent attached.
You say the fake can is 6" long?
If so, you are only 14 7/8" long.
You would need at least a 7 1/8" and preferrably a 7 1/4" long fake can to make this work.
I advise you to be sure that the barrel exceeds 16" length with the permanent attached muzzle device before you mount it to a rifle lower.
Remember that the measurements are taken with the bolt in battery, no ammo in the chamber.
A 16.0000" long rod is dropped down the bore from the muzzle.
NONE of that rod can protrude beyond the end of the barrel.

Randall
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MGP

Hmmmm...

9.5" long barrel huh?
Muzzle thread length is usually 5/8"
So you really have 8 7/8" to the shoulder that the fake suppresor will tighten against before it is permanent attached.
You say the fake can is 6" long?
If so, you are only 14 7/8" long.
You would need at least a 7 1/8" and preferrably a 7 1/4" long fake can to make this work.
I advise you to be sure that the barrel exceeds 16" length with the permanent attached muzzle device before you mount it to a rifle lower.
Remember that the measurements are taken with the bolt in battery, no ammo in the chamber.
A 16.0000" long rod is dropped down the bore from the muzzle.
NONE of that rod can protrude beyond the end of the barrel.

Randall

The fake can is 7 5/8'' long so it measures over 16" just to be safe Thanks MGP
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top