Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 7:30:59 PM EDT
Greetings all,

I have been doing a lot of reading here and think this site is great. I have always been interested in building so all the info that everyone provides here is greatly appreciated.

I was talking with my wife earlier and told I wanted to build and AR., she said go for it.

I have looked arond and decided to got with MEGA upper and lower, Bushmaser BBL. Does anyone have any suggestions on the bolt and carrier (want to be able to handle 5.56 and .223) ?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Tweak, I have been shooting them for a while and understand how they work.

I am just looking for a little advice.

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
i built my first one, i had only shot an ar maybe 60rds. i didnt think it was that difficult to build. but then again ive been building things for most on my life. of corse hind sight is 20.20 i built mine in 7.62x39 and have onley been able to get the 10rders to feed right but they dont hold the bolt open on the last rd. i guess the spring isnt strong enough. but i say build it, i had my laptop infront of me on this website the whole time had it done all but the front detent pin in about 40 min. good luck.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
7.62x39 is a bastard AR.

A standard build in 5.56 shouldn't give you any problems.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have looked arond and decided to got with MEGA upper and lower, Bushmaser BBL. Does anyone have any suggestions on the bolt and carrier (want to be able to handle 5.56 and .223) ?

Thanks in advance

I have the same question as you as I'm buing a new BCG myself.

I am leaning towards a CMT brand BCG with a 'shrouded' firing pin for $150. $120

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cmt.htm

Unless I hear a better route I will be buying this one...

<---------- heads off to EE

BTW, you may want to buy a complete upper unless you want to buy the tools and have the experience installing barrels on an AR.

5.56 or .223 is more determined by the chamber in the barrel, not the bolt. Get a 5.56 chamber.

ETA: CMT BCG is actually $120, mistake corrected above. Just ordered one from Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies mylt1,Stick,cugir.

Cugir, I was looking at that as well or the LMT.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone have any suggestions on the bolt and carrier (want to be able to handle 5.56 and .223) ?

Eagle Firearms.net has a Stage arms Bolt carrier with charging handle for $119 and it too has the shrouded firing pin.

The only reason to go with CMT is to get an M16 carrier IMO.  Some say this is a no-no because it's an NFA part blaa...blaa...blaa BATF knocking at your door yada..yada.. From what I've seen and heard a few Competitive shooters use the 16 carrier because the additional weight slows down the carrier and aids in accuracy.  At least so I've heard.

Truthfully I'd get a Stag arms lower because it costs less and it's the same quality as Rock River Arms but some are touchy about the deer haed being on the side of the lower. Title II has them for $87 shipped BTW.  Ive seen Mega A3 uppers for $85, which Is a pertty good deal IMHO.

Good luck and Welcome to the club
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Many first time builders find that it is much easier, and often cheaper to buy a stripped lower, but to purchase a complete upper.  

Often a complete upper is cheaper and more available.

Just a thought if money matters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#9]
stick i built the 7.62x39 cause i have a sks so i already had an ass load of ammo. but i am looking for a 5.56 upper so i can have both. but of corse i will probably end up building another lower. i would hate to have an upper just sitting there all by its self. when i built mine i ordered the srtipped lower and a complete upper and parts kit from model 1 sales. i just went to there web site and ordered the complete kit. the only problem i had was the detent springs were to long for my lower so i had to cut a few coils off to get that damn front dentent pin in.( and yes i launched it several times till i found out what the problem was.)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top