Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 6:19:54 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR, a 24" varmint.  I've been looking into sights and scopes and trying to make a decision.  I have a Weaver K3 scope off an old hunting rifle which is in great shape, and which I think would suffice for 100-yard shooting which is probably what I'll be doing most, other than when I'm out in enough space to shoot further.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  If I keep the Weaver I'll be looking for rings, and am not sure what to look for.  I'd also like to pick out a good set of iron sights which don't break the bank.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Post your question in the optics section, and you will get better results.  

I would use what I had, but then again, I would never build a 24" for 100 yard shooting (or any other shooting for that matter).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks. Actually I wanted to also ask at what range a varmint upper starts to become an advantage over a regular barrel.  Can you shoot the same groups with either inside 200 yards?  I'm still on the fence about the exact upper configuration and every time I read a little more I just start seeing myself building more than one gun... at least for now I;d like to think this will be the only one for a while
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thanks. Actually I wanted to also ask at what range a varmint upper starts to become an advantage over a regular barrel.  Can you shoot the same groups with either inside 200 yards?

Yes, the extra 4 inches of barrel gives you extra weight, bulk, aggravation (IMHO), and a little more velocity.  However, it is not more accurate.  If you were to see differences between the barrels, I would think it would be out much much farther.  200 yards isn't even close.  The actual differences become more apparent depending on what ammo/ bullet weight you are using, but again, its well beyond 200 yards.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top