Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 9:20:18 AM EDT
I just purchased a bushy this summer, and am now looking at doing my first build.  I want to get a heavy barrelled AR that i can take prairie dog hunting.  i am just wondereing what i should be looking for for a barrel as far as length, and what type of upper/lower.  Also what should i expect to have into the gun, pricewise.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you want another weapon, or just another upper that you can swap out with your current one?

What type of ammo do you plan to shoot?

Do you plan to carry this rifle any long distances?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#2]
When I did mine I just used a Mega upper/lower. After looking around I decided to go with a Pac-nor barrel. Get the best barrel you can afford IMHO.

I have not had this out to the range yet but I can imagine I will be disapointed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Some folks say 24" barrel is great since it gives the best velocity, but in truth, there is not much velocity difference between 24 & 20.  The 24 will give you a lot more weight.  Get the best barrel you can, Krieger/Pac-Nor/Douglas/Shilen/Lilja, Wilson if you're on a budget.  That's where the AR's accuracy comes from (at least most of it).  You'll definitely want to free float your barrel and maybe get a bipod, but most people say it's better off sandbags.  Match triggers help, as does good glass.  Don't skimp on the glass!  Most rifles' potential isn't unlocked until you start handloading.  If you don't want to do that then you might invest in Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal match ammo.  Don't be surprised if you spend around $1200 on a complete rifle before optics and mounts.  Maybe $800 for just the upper assuming you get a decent barrel.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My personal setup:

24" Wilson barrled RRA varmint upper ~$450
Eagle Arms Lower ~$80
CMC 1-stage trigger ~$178
RRA lower parts ~$28
RRA A2 stock ~$55
Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 ~$375
Armalite one piece scope mount ~$75

Total ~$1,241 and it shoots 5 shot 3" groups at ~450 yards all day with BH 75 and 77grs.

I also have KNS pins and a Harris bipod but those are optional.

I'll be adding a JP BC brake and enidine rifle buffer soon.  I actually want this rifle to be heavy because as you can tell I'm going for the least amount of felt recoil possible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#5]
As several people mentioned, the barrel is where the accuracy comes from.

I build custom barrels/uppers and I can make ANY profile, length, caliber etc...
I can build the barrel from any manufacturer's barrel blank.
I chamber exclusively with floating pilot reamers and the pilots are fitted to within 0.0001" of the bore for perfectly centered throats (the real key to accuracy).
Full details on my website: www.ar15barrels.com

Randall
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you want another weapon, or just another upper that you can swap out with your current one?

What type of ammo do you plan to shoot?

Do you plan to carry this rifle any long distances?

I want a second weapon

as far as ammo, what do you guys recommend for prairie dogs and/or long range?

I dont plan on carrying it for long distances.  i have my bushy for a shtff type bug-out, and this gun would be primarily for bug in and if i go prairie dog hunting
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]

jt distributing 20" varmint kit

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay Loon...  My V-Match is my primary "Dog" gun.   20 inch fluted heavy bbl.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay Loon...  My V-Match is my primary "Dog" gun.   20 inch fluted heavy bbl.
www.hunt101.com/img/303619.jpg

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/cfeklikewhoa/varmint/IMG_0500.jpg

jt distributing 20" varmint kit

Thanks guys, this is what i am looking at doing.  Now to put it together. . .
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm running a J&T 24" Varmint upper, it's a 1/8 twist, on a Stag Arms lower, and I'm using a JP Rifles single stage trigger, best group to date ran .222" center to center at 100 yds.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top