Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:55:32 PM EDT
Well i'm trying to put together a list of tools. Looking for peoples reccomendations on the where and what brand...and also what other tools you reccomend to make things easier

Upper Receiver Block

Lower Receiver Block

Free Float Wrench

"AR Tool" has standard barrel wrench and stock wrench, etc.

FSB Roll pin punch.

Carbon Scraper/AR Tool (Adco I believe is selling this)

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a DPMS armorers wrench (the new powdercoated one) and I like it.

I got an upper vice block from Bravo Co. which ended up being from Model 1. It has worked really well for the 2 builds I've used it for already.

I use a 1/16" Craftsman punch I got for $1 at Sears. It hasn't marred anything up and works well.

I decided against the lower vice block because I fugured I'd never need it. I was right and I saved myself $10-$15. However, some people use the lower vise block all the time. YMMV.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a DPMS armorers wrench (the new powdercoated one) and I like it.

+1

I got mine last week and i find myself playing with it for no damn reason at all!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Upper Receiver Block: DPMS block. The DPMS is nice since it doesn't even touch the exposed finish of the upper and it works with LaRue FF tubes.

Lower Receiver Block: Dunno, don't use one.

Free Float Wrench: DPMS

FSB Roll pin punch. Craftsman regular punches. I bought my roll pin punches locally, don't even remember what they are.

Carbon Scraper/AR Tool (Adco I believe is selling this) Dunno, never used one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well i'm trying to put together a list of tools. Looking for peoples reccomendations on the where and what brand...and also what other tools you reccomend to make things easier

Upper Receiver Block

Lower Receiver Block

Free Float Wrench

"AR Tool" has standard barrel wrench and stock wrench, etc.

FSB Roll pin punch.

Carbon Scraper/AR Tool (Adco I believe is selling this)

Upper reciever & lower receiver blocks can be gotten from Fulton Armory for very reasonable.  I think like $32 for the upper block and lower block.  The lower block is handy if you're doing trigger work or installing a stock.  Fulton sells a combo wrench, with the teeth and pins on opposing sides.  It'll do barrel nuts and free float nuts, along with stocks and flash hiders.    It works well.  I got a Lyman roll pin punch set from Midway, I think it was $11 or so for 4 punches.  Carbon scraper, don't know, don't use one.  In all honesty, the head of a finishing nail is all you really need to pound in roll pins.  I did that for my last build but decided to play it safer on future builds.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked a guy who had been to an armorer's class and he said the best brands of all the ones they had at the class were the Bushmaster action blocks because they worked with a flat-top that still had the handle on it.  Or the DPMS one that goes inside only, for the same reason.  He also said the Olympic wrench was the best because it had the curves of the "barrel" and "stock" parts on the same side so you don't scratch yourself on the other when using it.

I took his advice on the wrench, but went with the Fulton Armory blocks because they were cheaper and I only planned to use them twice.  I got side-tracked (new baby) so haven't had a chance to use them yet.  The blocks don't seem to be a really good fit to the upper, but I have no basis for comparision so maybe that's normal.

The FA blocks came with the lower block, but from what I can tell it doesn't do anything a block of wood wouldn't do.

The Oly wrench has the 3 pins on one side and the "inverted sprocket" shape on the other so it would probably work on FF tubes like the BM V-Match, though you might want to get a strap wrench for things like that.

If you do a lot of work on the bolt you might want one of those little vice things for that too.

I've never felt the need to scape carbon from anything in the AR.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I use. I consider items noted with "***" to be necessary. All others just make things easier.

www.bushmaster.com
Bushmaster handguard removal tool -- #HGD-Tool -- $19.95
Bushmaster action clamp -- #OM-003 -- $38.95 ***
Bushmaster firing pin protrusion gauge -- #MMT-0005 -- $14.95
Bushmaster receiver push pin tool -- #IMP-1 -- $6.95

www.brownells.com
Brownells Bench Block (round, grooved) -- #498-100-100 -- $12.50
Brownells AR-15 Front Sight Bench Block -- #080-000-252 -- $34.97
Gas tube wrench-- #133-100-015 -- $24.95
Brownells needle oilers (quantity 3) -- #084-038-203 --$6.67
Kroil (8-ounce can) -- #471-100-008 -- $8.90
"Field Gauge" -- #319-418-033 -- $14.94

doityourself.com
Dasco 4 1/2" X 1/16" pin punch -- #6476659 -- $3.69 ***
Dasco 5 1/2" X 3/32" pin punch -- #6472732 -- $3.89 ***

www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
Proto 4 1/4" X 3/32" Tip Super-Duty Roll Pin Punch -- #J49332 -- $4.96 ***
Proto 4 1/4" X 1/8" Tip Super-Duty Roll Pin Punch -- #J49018 -- $5.43 ***
Stanley 3/32" Square Nail Set -- #58-113 -- $2.55 ***
Stanley 5 oz. Magnetic Tack Hammer -- #54-304 -- $11.03 ***

www.olyarms.com
Olympic Arms armorer's wrench -- #H28B -- $27 ***

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239
Pittsburgh Tools 1/2" Torque Wrench-- #239-3VGA -- $9.99 ***

www.plastixplustx.com/ar15/ar15.html
Maintenance Stand

Moly lube ***

16-ounce ballpeen hammer ***

snap ring pliers ***
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
What?  No *** by the Kroil?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Craftsman pin punch set for $9.  Guaranteed forever no matter what you do to them = Priceless
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's what I use. I consider items noted with "***" to be necessary. All others just make things easier.

On your suggestion, I picked up one of the $3 Stanley nailsets on last week's MSC order.
It's perfectly functional, but I feel that the $6 starrett that brownells sells IS a nicer tool for popping out taper pins.
The starret dished grinding matches the taper pin really well.
The Stanley just sorta has a hole drilled in the middle and it has beveled edges.
I think I'll keep the stanley for F$#&ing Bushmaster front sight bases...

Randall
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On your suggestion, I picked up one of the $3 Stanley nailsets on last week's MSC order.
It's perfectly functional, but I feel that the $6 starrett that brownells sells IS a nicer tool for popping out taper pins.

I've never handled the Brownell's version. The next time I place a Brownell's order, I might as well add one just to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the great info folks. Got the DPMS Wrench and the fulton blocks on the way. I'll get the rest at sears...gotta love craftsman...you break it they replace it...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the great info folks. Got the DPMS Wrench and the fulton blocks on the way. I'll get the rest at sears...gotta love craftsman...you break it they replace it...

Exactly

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly

WIZZO

Going to Sears at lunchtime tomorrow to replace the 1/16 punch I just broke.
I think I'll pick up a spare.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on getting the DPMS wrench and upperblock ,front sight block,   Magpul triggerguard from Brownells. I will be glad when Brownells start stocking the MIAD grip. I love the one I got last week from Denny.    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Craftsman pin punch set for $9.  Guaranteed forever no matter what you do to them = Priceless

This set is a great value.  If  you buy the punches individually, they are $4.99 each!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top