Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:21:49 PM EDT
I recently assembled my first two lowers and was wondering what would happen if you removed the disconnector from your trigger?  Would it run in full auto?  It appeared to me that it would.  Somebody please educate me.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Let us know how it turns out for you.

Bob
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently assembled my first two lowers and was wondering what would happen if you removed the disconnector from your trigger?  Would it run in full auto?  It appeared to me that it would.  Somebody please educate me.  Thanks.  

Well, someone would quote you, just to save your actions for posterity.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
IBTL (my first ever)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You would be comitting a felony.

Yes, it should fire full-auto, but not safely as it is slam-firing because the hammer would be following the firing pin home.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Wizzo.  That's what I thought.  For the smart-ass's on here, who ever said I was going to do it and who ever said it wasn't a register lower??  I was just asking because I noticed it.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know, who did ever say those things?  I can't find them written in any of the above posts.  

If you want to pull parts out of your weapon, I would suggest the firing pin, as it is a lot safer than screwing with things you don't understand.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
fucking hell, that's what those people in vegas did!!!

When I was a hardcore n00b i went to vegas to rent a "m4" and it only had a semi switch, but would fire on full auto only. Thing was a peice of shit, and jammed constantly. Not to mention I was a tourist noob who had never shot a rifle before... They are lucky I didn't shoot the ceiling!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
FROM MY OWN ACCIDENTAL EXPIEIANCE:
(1) It *MAY* fire two or thre round burst, then
(2) the hammer WILL gett caught on the fireing pin as the B/BC gos forward ( wich leaves you with a jammed POS, mite as well just use a single shot or bolt un) If you persist and are lucky enough that (3) is not (1), then
(3) The cartridge fires before the bolt is locked, you will ruin you weapon, possibly injure/kill yourself and others.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You will get one of two things...

If you have a notched AR-15 hammer and an SP1 style carrier, the hammer will (properly) get caught by the shoulder on the firing pin and prevent the bolt carrier from completely closing after you fire the first shot.

If you have a shrouded carrier, then you will get what M16 guys call "hammer follow" where the hammer follows the bolt carrier home.
There will not be enough energy left in the hammer to activate the primer as the hammer simply follows the bolt carrier on it's return trip.
This turns the rifle into an autoloading single shot.

You will not get bursts or full auto, you would need an autosear to be holding the hammer back and releasing it AFTER the bolt carrier is mostly closed to get that to happen.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]

There will not be enough energy left in the hammer to activate the primer as the hammer simply follows the bolt carrier on it's return trip.

Doubles and triples are common when this occurs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
In before he goes to jail.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't know, who did ever say those things?  I can't find them written in any of the above posts.  

If you want to pull parts out of your weapon, I would suggest the firing pin, as it is a lot safer than screwing with things you don't understand.  

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In before he goes to jail.

he wont go to jail, duh!

he will go to the hospital

IBTL
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
he wont go to jail, duh!

he will go to the hospital
IBTL

Look closely at how the AR firing pin interacts with the tail of the bolt and the carrier and you will soon learn that the AR-15/m16 family CAN NOT fire out of battery from a firing pin hit to the primer.
It's not possible for the carrier to be forward enough to allow the firing pin to protrude through the bolt face when the bolt is unlocked.

Do this:
With the bolt carrier group removed from the rifle, push the bolt all the way into the carrier so that it's in it's normal "locked" position.
Push and hold the firing pin forwards so it protrudes from the bolt face.
Now begin to slowly pull the bolt out of the carrier while still holding the firing pin forwards.
Within about 1/16" to 1/18" of travel, the firing pin should no longer be protruding from the bolt face.
Note that the bolt has JUST begun to rotate (unlock) at this point.

Is it crystal clear now?

Randall
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Do me a favor, go sell all your weapons and give the money to me because you aren't responsible enought own a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Who ever said it wasn't a register lower??

If it were a registered lower, why remove the disconnector when you have an auto sear?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

If it were a registered lower, why remove the disconnector when you have an auto sear?

Why of course, he is trying to create hammer follow when he releases the trigger while running full auto.
It makes for lots of malfunction clearance practice!

Randall
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#20]
nm
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top