Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 4:19:56 PM EDT
I have put several coats of Alumahyde II on a Ace shorty stock over the past couple weeks.
Is is best to finish this off with a clearcoat of some kind or let it be?  Do they even make a matte
clearcoat, I dont want it to be shiny.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's necessary. That stuff gets tougher the longer it's on, IMO.
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
And I can tell you this from recent personal experience.  What Brownell's calls matte clear coat Aluma Hyde is NOT matte finish.  At best it's a semi gloss, and it looks crappy on anything you put it over.

If you want to put a little extra water resistance on your piece, go to Wal Mart and get a three dollar can of Krylon CrystalClear Acrylic, part #1313 clear satin. Sprays on easily, dries to the touch in 15 minutes, and won't hurt a durn thing. Water on it just forms droplets you can shake off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And I can tell you this from recent personal experience.  What Brownell's calls matte clear coat Aluma Hyde is NOT matte finish.  At best it's a semi gloss, and it looks crappy on anything you put it over.

If you want to put a little extra water resistance on your piece, go to Wal Mart and get a three dollar can of Krylon CrystalClear Acrylic, part #1313 clear satin. Sprays on easily, dries to the touch in 15 minutes, and won't hurt a durn thing. Water on it just forms droplets you can shake off.

+1 on the so called matte clear coat Aluma Hyde II not being matte and looking bad.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I used some Alumahyde II  tonight.  I don't think it needs anything further for protection, but a layer of clear would look better.  I am going to try the Krylon CrystalClear sounds promising.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top