Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:02:41 PM EDT
I am replacing the original Gas Block that came on my RRA Rifle with a 4-Rail Gas Block.  I removed the 2 set screws from the bottom of the Gas Block and also removed the gas tube pin from the top of the Gas Block.

I've been trying very hard and it just won't seem to budge.  I tried to put grease around the barrel in front of the gas block and I've banged, twisted, pulled, etc.. and the gas block doesn't seem to even move!!

Am I doing something wrong?  I thought the gas block should just slide right off with the screws/pin removed and then I could just slide on the new one..  

Well, any suggestions would be helpful -- At this point I'm not to concerned with damaging the original gas block as it will be replaced with the 4-rail.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas Blocks are often put on with LocTite to prevent shifting and gas leaks.  Careful heating with a torch will break down the LocTite and allow simple removal of the gas block.  If LocTite isn't used, there is usually an accumulation of carbon holding the block in place.  Heating won't do any good (or harm), but allowing a powder solvent such as Hoppes' #9 to soak in overnight may soften it enough to release the block.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ronemus --

Thank you so much!!!  You were exactly right!!  A little time with the propane torch and it wiggled right off!!

When putting the new 4-rail Gas Block on the barrel -- Should I use some type of Locktight??  What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ronemus --

Thank you so much!!!  You were exactly right!!  A little time with the propane torch and it wiggled right off!!

When putting the new 4-rail Gas Block on the barrel -- Should I use some type of Locktight??  What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Loctite...you don't need no steenking Loctite  You could loctite the set screws, though.  Some people will also take a punch and dimple the barrel a little so the set screws bite a little better.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Without LocTite there will always be some leaks that leave deposits.  I normally install the gas block with light screw pressure and seal it with LocTite 290 (green, penetrating) after checking alignment and function; a few drops at the edge wick into any gaps and seal it in place.  The real payoff comes when you rebarrel since the block will be easy to remove, whereas accumulated carbon deposits are a real pain and make removal very difficult.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Loctite makes a high temp sleeve retainer that should be used with front sites or gas blocks. Install site or gas block and put a witness mark on it. Then remove put on loctite and then install and tighten screws. The screw should not be very tight. They will distort the barrel. Same with flash suppressor or comp.

As you've seen they hold really well, some recommend the same thing for gas tube. and don't bother with the roll pin. Me I like belt and suspenders for gas tube.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top