Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:54:57 AM EDT
Anyone done this?  I've been told that a miter saw with a fine blade works well but was wondering if there were other techniqus.  I was also wondering if I should cover the area of the cut with tape to minimize rough edges and "fiber unwrapping?"  Also, can the cut area be sanded or otherwise smoothed before installation.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
For a clean cut, best to just find an archery/golf shop near you.  They are set up with high speed abrasive bade cutter used to cut carbon fiber arrows/graphite shafts, and same cutter is used to cut the hand guards as well.

Now if you don't mind the end cut being a little less than square, then you can buy an abrasive hacksaw bade and do the cut by hand (the blade looks like a piece of wire that is embedded with graphite).  To buy a blade on line, go to golfsmith.com, look under club maker tab, tools, then cutters for the hack saw blade.

To sum it up, for the price of the hack saw blade, the archery/golf shop will do the cut for you, leaving the end of the tube square and shape.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet if you take it to a golf shop they might even cut it for free, just mark where you want it an buy some golfballs from them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I cut a Clark Custom Guns rifle tube down to carbine length with a new hacksaw blade and finished the end with progressively finer adhesive backed sand paper attached to a smooth flat surface.  Not fancy, but the results look better than Clark's original cut.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I cut a Clark Custom Guns rifle tube down to carbine length with a new hacksaw blade and finished the end with progressively finer adhesive backed sand paper attached to a smooth flat surface.  Not fancy, but the results look better than Clark's original cut.

I was gonna do that, but then I read some nasty stuff about carbon fiber dust...so I sent my tube back to Clark's and they whacked it for me for free...I just had to pay return shipping.  Let us know how that brochocentric granulomatosis works out for ya in 10 years or so.    (just kidding!)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was gonna do that, but then I read some nasty stuff about carbon fiber dust...so I sent my tube back to Clark's and they whacked it for me for free...I just had to pay return shipping.  Let us know how that brochocentric granulomatosis works out for ya in 10 years or so.    (just kidding!)

I wore a 3M 5000 Series paint respirator with the prefilter.  Hopefully I won't die of brochocentric granulomatosis.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank to everyone for the input.  The Clark tube arrived today, and here's what I did.  I wrapped the tube at the cut off point with one wrap of duct tape and marked it to length.  I then cut it off with a power miter saw using a fine toothed wood blade.  I also wore a respirator but didn't notice any dust.  With the tape still on I laid some 60 grit sandpaper on a flat piece of plywood and sanded the cut portion by pulling over the paper while standing on the cut end.  I rotated the tube about 45 deg. on each pass.  I woked up to 320 grit paper, and the cut  actually looked better than the original Clark cut.  Seems to work just fine, although I don't know what effect it had on the blade. Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top