Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 1:19:55 PM EDT
Well I have been looking into buying an AR for quite some time now.  I finally took the first step today.  I just picked up a new RRA lower with 6pos stock.  I got it for $225 out the door at a local shop.  I will pick up an upper in a few weeks (If I can hold out that long).   I am looking into a RRA CAR A4 upper with 16" Chrome Lined 1/9 twist barrel, Flattop Upper,  Mid Length Handguards.    Sound like a decent first AR setup?

Heres a pic of the lower.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3530/kif19125gr.jpg

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Good Start
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks nice.  I want an RRA or Bushmaster lower for my next build.  I'll probably go RRA because Bushmaster is so expensive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a decent AR anytime.  You can't really go wrong with Rock River.  I love my midlength.  They are sweet shooters.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, as I figured I cant wait a few weeks to buy the upper as planned, I must have it NOW!he
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/7181/upcara4mid4sr.jpg

Also I plan to buy a removable carry handle for this.  What brand carry handle should I look for?  I would like to get one for $50-75.

Thanks for your input!

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in the same boat when I decided on a midlength.  I chose chrome lined.  I wanted my black rifle to be black and have the benefit of corrosion resistance.  Chrome lining seemed the logical choice.  They say chrome lined barrels aren't as accurate as unlined (stainless included) barrels.  I can't say that I buy it.  Mine is turning out to be very accurate with quite a mixed bag of ammo.  It's digested everything from cheap UMC and Remington to Black Hills and been remarkably consistent with all.  On the last outing, with open sights, it was able to go toe to toe against a friends DPMS with magnified optics.

$430 is a good price.  As for the carry handle, check out the equipment exchange.  You should be able to find slightly used or even new take-offs in your price range.  They show up quite often and sell quickly.  Just make sure it is a quality item.  Stay away from airsoft look-a-likes or imported carry handles that are cast from what appears to be recycled soda cans.

Well, as I figured I cant wait a few weeks to buy the upper as planned, I must have it NOW!

Looks like you've contracted BRD.  By the way, there is no known cure!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was in the same boat when I decided on a midlength.  I chose chrome lined.  I wanted my black rifle to be black and have the benefit of corrosion resistance.  Chrome lining seemed the logical choice.  They say chrome lined barrels aren't as accurate as unlined (stainless included) barrels.  I can't say that I buy it.  Mine is turning out to be very accurate with quite a mixed bag of ammo.  It's digested everything from cheap UMC and Remington to Black Hills and been remarkably consistent with all.  On the last outing, with open sights, it was able to go toe to toe against a friends DPMS with magnified optics.

$430 is a good price.  As for the carry handle, check out the equipment exchange.  You should be able to find slightly used or even new take-offs in your price range.  They show up quite often and sell quickly.  Just make sure it is a quality item.  Stay away from airsoft look-a-likes or imported carry handles that are cast from what appears to be recycled soda cans.

Well, as I figured I cant wait a few weeks to buy the upper as planned, I must have it NOW!

Looks like you've contracted BRD.  By the way, there is no known cure! hr

Thanks for your input, I think I will wait the 6 weeks and get the mid length chrome lined barrel.  Yes I do have BRD, and I have it bad!!-Derek
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top