Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:32:55 AM EDT
I've got an EA lower and a Del-Ton upper assy.  The pivot pin engages fine.  But the rear takedown pin won't go.  It's damn close; but no go.  If I squeeze real hard, everything looks flush but it just won't go.  It looks like the assembly needs to go slightly to the rear.

Advice?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Usually what happens is that the upper isn't fully closing.  Mark the upper receiver's rear 'lug,' that the takedown pin goes through with lipstick or something, and close it as far as it will go.  You will be able to see where the two pieces are contacting.  Following the #1 rule of WECSOGing, 'file/grind on the least expensive part,' lightly file the contacting area(s), remark the parts with lipstick, and then try the fit.  Repeat as needed.

Be patient and don't get carried away with the file, coz it shouldn't take a lot of metal removal to make things align.

WECSOG - Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Play some soft music and light some candles.

Sorry couldn't help my self.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just barely off on the takedown pin.  I'd hate to tie the gun up by sending it out.  If it's an hour's worth of delicate filing, then I'd rather do that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Any others out there experience similar problem?  If so, what did you do to fix it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a hammer and tap it in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
On older lowers hole alignment was not uncommon. I used to remove the metal from the pin making the pin the shape of the hole instead of removing metal from the upper or lower. The last part of the pin for the thickness of the side of lower stayed full sized because it never goes into the upper lug.
I would make sure that it is hole alignment off and not the upper not being closed flat against the lower first.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I also had that problem with an Oly. lower. Took it to the Orlando gunshow and tried uppers till I had one that fit well (they thought I was nuts). Problem soklved.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top